Chapter Seventeen

"Being you was actually really easy," was the first thing Fred said when they met again that night after everyone was asleep.

Although this alleviated her nerves a bit, it did felt a bit like he was calling her boring which was just a little offensive. Still, it was a very Fred thing to say from what she knew and he probably didn't intend to be malicious.

"So was being me ... wait, where did you get all the bobby pins from?" She was suddenly acutely aware at how artfully pinned back her hair was.

He gave a shrug, "I just asked the girls for some."

"The girls? What girls, I have Lexy but that's it!"

"The girls," He repeated ominously, "Your hair was getting in my way so I fixed it, simple as that."

"Yeah but... how? How have you done it better than me?" She asked, reaching out to touch it before retracting her hand, knowing how annoying it was, "It's taken me years to figure this out and you did it in a day..."

"I thought we were going to search for that book?" He raised an eyebrow at her, "Unless you want to talk about hair all night long."

"I thought I was meant to be the organised one," She murmured.

"Maybe you're rubbing off on me."

She glared at him again for a few moments before shaking her head in bewilderment, "I'm sorry but I refuse to believe you've just learnt this, it's ridiculous."

"I used to do Ginny's hair when she was younger," He shrugged, "Also I'm quite good at figuring things out."

"You even managed to do a braid at the side, it's beautiful!" She huffed loudly, "How come when I have my hair it just explodes everywhere yet when you get it, it cooperates with actually braids and things, not fair at all."

He gave a small snigger, "Wow, we really have switched roles..."

At this, she straightened up slightly, remembering she was meant to be in charge of this, "No. No, we haven't, I'm still me even if I'm stuck in your body and I... wait, how are we going to get into the library if it's closed?"

"It's never closed to me."

"Oh, do you have a key?"

"No, I have something better, a key to the school... or we did before we gave it to Harry. But we have it memorised, don't worry" He said with a grin, "And it's right heeeere...."

Clearly he'd misjudged his timings, as the 'e' sound continued for a solid ten seconds before they drew up outside a still life painting. Fred began to feel around rim of the frame, just as they began to hear some oddly lopsided footsteps coming towards them. She began to panic but Fred continued, grinning as there was a satisfying click sound at which the painting swung open, "Voila, should lead us straight to the library. There's a slight jump at the end but it's fine."

After a few moments, she gave him a light flick on the arm, scowling for no particular reason.

"Ow!" He groaned although she knew for a fact it didn't hurt, "What was that for?"

"For being too good at this! It's been a day and you're somehow already a better me than me," She complained, "Come on, let's go before someone finds us."

Fred peered up, "Whose footsteps are those?"

"I don't know or want to find out!" She replied, pushing him in and crawling after him.

"You don't know the way, I'll lead - "

"No!" She held her finger out to him, "No! I will lead us."