23: ON THE ISLAND LOST IN TIME

VIDEO above : THE SHOW MUST GO ON - Gregorian Chants

Brad Cooper goes to Palua Pae in the deep of night to meet his destiny with the stars ...

Under the star-studded night sky, the Balanga lay at anchor three hundred yards off the shore of Palua Pae.

It was hot and humid without the slightest breeze and Brad and Clint and Jimmy slept soundly on the hatch cover, their half-naked bodies glistening in sweat. But even in the intense heat they were close and touching, an arm thrown over a muscular chest, a hand gripping a relaxed bicep, a shapely leg laying across one of a darker skin tone.

It was past midnight and Rondin was on watch. He had been hungrily eyeing the three boys earlier, but he now lay in a drunken stupor in the stern, oblivious to the world. He'd started drinking from a secret stash earlier in the evening after the ordeal of sailing through the volcanic sea had unnerved him, and he'd finished off his reserves in an attempt to quell his wanton desire for the beautiful boys he'd been lusting after since the moment he first saw them.

All was quiet on deck. There wasn't a sound to be heard in the sweltering night. But when Brad's eyes popped open, he shuddered with a horrible fear and his heart began to thump. He instantly knew something was wrong.

He was on his side with a leg thrown over one of Jimmy's, who was in front of him. Clint was behind him, one of his hands clutching Brad's arm. The sensation of his bare leg touching Jimmy's, and Clint's strong grasp and bulk behind him, was enough to set his mind instantly reeling with desire.

But he forced the invading thoughts away and flattened onto his back, brushing the other two boys aside. Both grumbling in their sleep, Clint and Jimmy rearranged themselves as Brad gazed up at the heavens with wide frightened eyes. He wondered what was wrong. Why the hell had he awakened with such anxiety?

He pushed himself up onto his elbows and looked quietly around. The splendor of the star-filled sky shed a radiance on the smooth sea and the looming jungle island ahead. His breath caught as his eyes roved over the illumined tree tops of the jungle to the monstrous dead volcano beyond, so dark and mysterious even in the heavenly light.

He listened hard but he could hear nothing but the easy breathing of his two lovers. He knew Rondin was on watch now and the boat would be safe. But he had the uncanniest feeling that something was wrong, and he had no idea why, or what it could be.

Grabbing his t-shirt from behind him, Brad slid off the hatch cover and landed lightly on the deck. He went to pull the shirt on but, realizing how sweaty he was, he used it to dry himself off and then tossed it back on the hatch. It was way too hot to wear the darn thing anyway.

He pulled on his shoes and tied the laces, then padded quietly up to the bow and stared ahead at the island, wondering if something had frightened him in his sleep to awaken him so suddenly. Hands gripping the bulwark rail, he heaved in a deep breath and slowly let it out in an attempt to slow down his banging heart.