Revelations

The following week passed by in a blur. The ghosts were gone and that's all that mattered. Everyone was busy with their own thing. I had visited Stefan a couple of times. His maddened eyes were pitiful and painful to see. He was painful to see, especially in that state. Damon said he had a plan. He refused to tell Elena and I details, however. Yet, his promise of trust made me falter, nodding as he looked back at me.

I also had a sneaking suspicion that Elena was hiding something from me. But, I could never be sure with her.

I left the boarding house one afternoon. Homecoming was drawing close. And of course, my sister was being as unnecessarily dramatic as ever. She had compelled a group of girls to model dresses for her, using the parlour as her own private runway. She pretended to be careless of course. Yet I could tell this was important to her. Above all, she craved a normal life. A human life. This much I knew. And considering how long Niklaus had her daggered... this night must be important to her.

Despite my understanding. We still argued, of course. Although deep down we were the same, the way she outwardly behaved was too much even for me to tolerate on that afternoon.

As I stormed out of the house however, I bumped into a startled Elena.
"Hey" I smiled, "sorry, I was just heading out".
"I'm actually here to see Rebekah..." she said, almost guiltily. I shrugged confusedly, opening my mouth to say something, before closing it again.
"Do you know what, I'm not even gonna ask at this point" I walked past her hurriedly, deciding that I would go visit Stefan. "Just don't piss her off, yeah?" I said with a grin, earning a nod in response. I knew that Rebekah wouldn't hurt Elena. For our brothers sake, not her own. Klaus needed her.

_____________________

I arrived at the old Forbes jail cell by late afternoon. I pushed open the rusted door with ease, only I froze, seeing the empty room before me. The chair in the centre, where Stefan was, was empty. He was gone. I sighed, tensing up as I realised who must've done this. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, quickly dialling the number of the man responsible. The line rang several times, before he finally picked up.

"Grace!" Damon answered. I could hear the surprise in his tone from here, despite his attempts at mock enthusiasm.
"Damon" I started, "where's Stefan?".
"He's... uh-" he started to respond, before another voice echoed down the line.
"I'll be at the bar" Stefan said casually in the background. I sighed, laughing slightly.
"You let him out?" I paused, shaking my head. "Elena's gonna kill you, y'know".
"Yeah, I kinda went off a bit, but what Elena doesn't know won't hurt her..." he replied. I could only imagine that he was rolling his eyes at me right now.
"Damon-" I tried to say something, before he cut me off.
"Don't worry, Grace, I know what I'm doing... trust me". He finished, his tone suddenly serious.
"Okay" I responded, earning a more than confused silence back.
"Okay?" He asked bewilderedly, causing me to laugh again.
"I trust you Damon, I'll see you later" I finished.

__________________________

I arrived back at the boarding house to find my sister alone once more.
"Wheres Elena? Scared her off already?" I said, earning a sneer in response as I shut the door behind me.
"I told her to leave" she shrugged, turning to face me. "Her questions were boring me".
"Doubtful, but whatever" I sat down heavily on the sofa next to her. "What did she want to know?" I asked, curiosity taking over. Rebekah glanced at me then, confusion washed over her face.
"She was asking about our family, Grace..." she replied, her voice trailing off, "I don't know why she didn't just ask you".
"Ask me what?" I sat up then, an uncomfortable feeling running through me.
"The cave?" She said obviously, earning a stunned silence in response, before realisation spread across her face. "Ah... they didn't tell you".
"They found it?" I mumbled, my eyes blown wide as I stood up rapidly.