Chapter Five: Backdoor

Camille stretched out her arms into the early summer morning, she always knew it would be a fine day when she couldn't feel the temperature of the air

Camille stretched out her arms into the early summer morning, she always knew it would be a fine day when she couldn't feel the temperature of the air. Outside had the salty fragrance of the sea and the birds chattered in the trees. The sky was blue with just a few stratus clouds making their unhurried way toward the ocean. The sun was already beaming down from above, promising more heat as the day progressed.

The reconstruction of Amnesty Bay was underway. Wooden beams were scattered around the beach, providing the skeleton of future homes. Camille was determined to assist in the building, but her mind was elsewhere. It was somewhere deep in the water's surface, in the midst of a heavy debate. She wanted to help Arthur reclaim his title as King, but didn't want to interfere where she wasn't wanted. The entire situation was headache inducing.

Luckily for her, fate had already compacted her thoughts into a single opportunity. It appeared as she approached her fellow cops. The two of them were standing by a nearby tree, speaking in hushed tones as the waves lapped upon the shore behind them. Her footsteps made them jump, but they swiftly relaxed again once they saw that it was her.

"A little on edge today, are we?" Camille teased, crossing her arms and joining the two men that towered above her.

"Hard not to be after what happened." Officer John Heath replied seriously. "That tsunami literally came out of nowhere; Ijust got off the phone with S.T.A.R. Labs. No weird readings, no weather conditions to cause it... It was done on purpose somehow."

Every muscle in Camille's body tensed, but she forced a reply to leave her frozen lips. "R-Really?"

The other officer nodded; Dean Winston was his name. They both looked as if they could be siblings with messy brown hair, green eyes, and a similarly bulky build. "This shit's too weird to be natural. Lieutenant Warnel's meeting us here to explain the whole thing."

Camille's heart almost leapt from her chest at the fright this gave her. How could they possibly know about this? She hadn't told a single soul, and Arthur hadn't left the lighthouse...

Before she had time to even consider the possibilities, a woman was walked towards them. She was broad-shouldered and severe, her blond hair twisted into the tightest of buns. She had a strangely blank, moon shaped face, wire-framed spectacles, and no makeup apart from a smear of brown lipstick.

Her eyes briefly lingered over the badges clipped to each of the officer's shirts, checking them for authenticity before continuing forward. This time her eyes remained on solely Camille. "Who's the shorty?"

Camille's cheeks immediately flared bright red, but she bit down the urge to throw an insult back. It wasn't worth it... and she had more important things to worry about. "I was assigned to Amnesty Bay permanently. I guess you could say that this is my turf."

John nodded as if to confirm her words as fact. "Best to include her in this conversation. She needs to know."

The woman simply gave Camille one more fleeting glance before nodding. If anything, she looked pleased that there was one more person present. "I'm not meant to be sharing this information, but we need this knowledge out there in the force."