*88. STEVE: Bad Liar

Warning: short bit of smut in the middle somewhere

Words: 4.8K

"I just want a nice, easy life. What's wrong with that?" you groan into the muggy air as another Hydra body drops before your feet.

"Join the club, sweetheart," you hear Steve chuckle behind you. He's got your six with his shield lifted to stop the gunfire that comes from the snipers across the Egyptian marketplace street. Luckily all of the locals scattered when they heard the first round of bullets so there's no worries about civilian casualties.

Stepping over the fresh corpses at your feet you reload your gun. "Speaking of our lives," you go on in a breathless tone—tired already from this surprise attack. "You wanna see a movie this weekend?" You wipe some dust from your forehead and go on. "That new Tom Hanks film is out. I know you really like him. Thought we could see an early show and maybe grab something to eat, too."

Steve clears his throat stiffly. Someone, probably Bucky, shoots down the enemy sniper and the raining of bullets stops. Steve gets the chance to drop his shield and look back at you. "Uh, sorry Y/N. I've got another... thing... going on this weekend."

You let out an exasperated breath. "Sounds fake but okay."

Steve opens his mouth but your lifted arm, gun aimed at his head, has his eyes wide. He ducks out of your way while you shoot down an enemy agent that was sneaking up through the shadows behind him.

Moving on as if nothing happened, you flip your hair and sashay away. Steve hurries to catch up to you in long strides. "Are you ever going to take me out? Or am I going to have to make an appointment to be fitted into the Captain's schedule?"

Steve swallows heavily at the annoyed tone of your voice. The two of you have had a casual "flirtationship" as Sam Wilson puts it, for the last few months. Steve's been hesitant to push it anything past frivolous and into the more serious territory. You, on the other hand, are completely oblivious to his concerns and ask him out once every few weeks now: being turned down every damn time.

"I'm just really busy right now," Steve argues lightly. He doesn't want to upset you or offend you in any way. He really likes you—he does, honestly. It's just... well, it's hard to admit that the truth of the matter is that he's terrified that after a few dates he'll realize he more than just 'like-likes' you. He knows it wouldn't take long out of the workplace for you to completely capture his heart. You're strong-willed, stubborn, and smart. Everything about you is enamoring. The quick wit was the first thing to drag him and then the deal was sealed when you first kicked his ass in an intro training session after you were brought onto the team from your high ranking position at SHIELD. Then there's the unmistakable fact that you're the prettiest dame he's ever damn seen. You're gorgeous in your sweaty combat clothes, so he knows you'd be completely irresistible in an evening dress.

"Like I said," you say, "Sounds fake." You step around another body and assess the street for any lingering foes.

Steve stutters beside you. "It's—it's not."

"Sure, Stevie." You flash him a quick smile to mask the fact that this constant disappointment is slowly killing you inside. You spot movement as you glance to your right and automatically reach out to pull Steve out of the way. A parade of bullets spirals through the air where he was just standing. While you're busy saving his ass he smoothly grabs the extra gun you keep on your waist—shooting down the newest target with a hit to the foe's shoulder. He hates making kill shots. He avoids them at all costs.