Chapter 45: Jasper

***Warning: This chapter is over 4000 words, the longest one so far. Proceed at your own risk.***

"What's taking her so long?" Brenan complained, stressfully pacing his room. "It's been hours since she left."

He was referring to his cousin, Margot, who was currently executing phase one of their plan.

"She's probably back at the laundromat, waiting for the uniforms to finish drying," Jasper said, hoping to get his friend to relax. "I'm sure she's fine."

Almost a week ago, right after Margot agreed to help them, they all came up with a plan to secure disguises that would allow Jasper and Lucas to blend in among the security officers. Today was the day they made their move, but Brenan was having a hard time keeping calm. He assumed the worse the longer Margot was away, but Jasper had faith that everything was okay.

"All she's doing is offering to wash their uniforms, Brenan. The worst that can happen is they decline and send her on her way. The fact that she's not back is a good sign that they accepted," he added.

"Or it's a sign that they know she plans to illegally give us two of their uniforms and she's on her way to jail," he argued.

Lucas let out an awkward cough before commenting, "That's unlikely."

"Look, Parker was the closest thing I had to a brother," Brenan explained. "She's the closest thing I have to a sister. I dragged her into this, so if she's in trouble, I'll never be able to-"

Before he could finish his sentence, the door flung open and the woman they were anxiously waiting for rushed in with a bundle of neatly folded clothes in her hands. She kicked the door closed behind her and tossed them onto the bed, along with two black caps with the letters "G.U.S." stitched on the front in golden yellow thread.

Galdon University Security.

"They expect me to bring their uniforms back before noon, tomorrow morning," she stated, her hands on her hips as she caught her breath.

"Did you run here?" Lucas asked, scratching his head, but she raised a hand to stop him from deterring her focus.

"I need them all back by tomorrow."

"Even the one's you just brought us?" Brenan questioned.

"We didn't expect such a short deadline, but it's what we've got," she continued. "If you don't go now, we may not get another shot."

"It's now or never," Jasper agreed, his mind adjusting to the unexpected rush.

Looking over at Lucas, he wondered if the risk was worth it. Going in slightly underprepared was a dangerous move with so many possible repercussions. If they got caught, they could be imprisoned...or worse. Was clearing Sydney's name worth the endangerment of the three other people around him? His heart said "yes", but he knew he was biased; he couldn't trust himself to make the decision, so he turned to his friends, hoping they'd be less conflicted.

"Are we sure we want to do this?" he asked, gaining him confused looks from everyone else. "I mean, I'd do anything for Sydney, but I feel wrong asking you guys to help."

"Don't. It's not like I'm doing this for you," Margot stated. "I'm doing it for my brother."

"And technically you never asked me," Brenan pointed out. "I volunteered."

A small grin formed on Jasper's lips at the memory. He never expected for someone to be eavesdropping on his conversation with Lucas that day in the library, but he was glad someone was. They wouldn't have gotten anywhere without Brenan's help.