Chapter 9

"He's probably still up waiting for me to come back," I said when we got to my place.

"Okay I'll come in with you," Valentino offered reaching for his car door.

"No you stay here, if dad sees I brought a boy to the house it'll be a lot worse," I rushed out. "Besides I can just climb in through the window."

And I did just that, once I was in my room I quietly locked the door and pushed the dresser in front of it once again. Then I packed a bag with my clothes and some toiletries I would need. I didn't know how long I was going to be at Valentino's so I probably packed more than I needed.

After that I tossed the bag out the window and stealthily climbed down the ladder back to Valentino.

"Are you okay?" He asked giving me a concerned look as I got in the car.

"Yea I shoved my dresser in front of my door so he shouldn't notice I'm gone for a few days," I explained as he pulled out of the driveway.

"I'm sorry you have to deal with this," Valentino mumbled sadness filling his eyes.

I didn't say anything and just sat quietly for the rest of the car ride. I expected us to pull up at his house but instead we ended up in front of i dinner I've never been to before.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

"I figured we could grab a bite to eat," he shrugged.

"Fine but you're paying," I sighed getting out of the car.

"As you wish," he smirked as he opened up the door for me.

"That reminds me I want to watch Princess Bride tonight," I thought out loud.

I was so focused on my thoughts that I didn't even notice when he went behind the counter and put on an apron.

"Umm Tino?" I questioned. "What are you doing?"

"Remember when I told you I work as a Barista?" he reminded me. "Well this is the dinner that I work at."

"Ohhhhh that makes a lot more since then what I was thinking," I chuckled.

"And what were you thinking?" He smirked leaning on the counter.

"That you wanted to dress like a maid for Halloween," I shrugged before walking off to an empty booth.

"Very funny!" He called after me.

I just shook my head trying to suppress a grin.

While I was waiting for him to come join me I couldn't help but think about how happy I was, and I began to realize that all that I haven't been this happy in a long time and it all started when he came into my life. Maybe it was because someone was finally pulling me out of the horrible situation I've been trapped in all my life.

"Here you go," Sage said pulling me out of my thoughts and placing a large plate of fries in front of me which I happily dug into.

"Can I ask you a question?" I mumbled through my mouthful of fries. I was finally going to get an answer to something I've been dying to know since the beginning.

"Shoot," he shrugged.

"Why do you always keep such a bad persona about you?" I asked. "What I mean is you put on this bad boy act with the cool car and the leather jackets, you don't care about the rules but in reality you're really sweet and kind, so what gives?"

"You don't know this cause you're never on the receiving end of this side of me but I actually am all of those things, but I've always been somewhat of a rebel, but when Katherine died it escalated quickly. I started smoking, sleeping around and going to parties all the time to take the pain away. I don't drink enough to get me drunk anymore since I found fighting was an better outlet for me but I do still smoke from time to time and I have a bad attitude and with most people I have a really short temper, especially with teachers," Valentino explained. "But with you it's different, you remind me of her. Even though you two are completely different in looks and parts of your personality it's the way you carry yourself. Like you're constantly afraid something is going to come jump out at you, but at the same time you're fierce and have a short temper when you want to. It was exactly how she used to hold herself up, and as soon as I noticed that I guess my soft side came out for the first time in years."

"Wow," was all I could say. "Definitely not the response I was expecting.

"Yea yea so the bad boy has a soft side," he scoffed. "Don't go telling anyone or my soft side might just go away. I have a reputation to maintain."

"Whatever," I scoffed rolling my eyes and finishing my fries.

"You ready to go to my place?" Sage asked when he noticed my empty plate.

"Yes, I'm so tired I might just fall asleep at this table," I said.

He just shook his head and grabbed my hand to lead me out of the dinner and to his car.

"Since I'm staying at your house do I get to meet your sister?!" I asked excitedly.

"Of course! She'll love you," Sage assured me.