Chapter: Twenty- One

THE ANGRY BAT

I don't own Harry Potter; I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

'I need this coffee' Harry thought trying to figure out a way to still get the coffee. An idea shot through his head and he hurried to complete it with wandless magic before turning back around with the coffee pot. He slowly walked forward and slowly set on the table in front of Snape before hurrying back to his seat. Snickers followed him and Harry fought the urge to grin manically as he slid into his seat and wandlessly undisallusioned the pot he had carried back with him. He poured himself a cup and began sipping. Nasta looked at him with in almost reverence before switching to puppy dog eyes. Harry noticed Snape reaching for the illusion coffee pot on the head table and quickly passed the coffee pot to Nasta even as the illusion faded. Harry gulped the last of his coffee down grabbed an apple and was out the great hall just as the thundering yell of,

"POTTER!" was heard from the head table. 'God I hope someone gives him coffee before class,' Harry thought, 'maybe I shouldn't have stolen his, should have taken Flitwick's or something.' He made his way back down to the dungeons to where Snape's classroom was and wandlessly unlocked the door closing it behind him. He picked a seat in the front to the right the side he remembered was usually Slytherin. He set up his things before making his way back out of the classroom to wait for his year mates. Shit now he was bored. He waited a full fifteen minutes for the other students to arrive. The Gryffindors looked a mixture of flippant and scared while the Slytherins were excited. Harry slipped in beside Neville to say hello.

"Hey Neville," Harry said.

"Hello Harry," Neville greeted back.

"How's your toad?" Harry asked.

"He's staying in my room now; your cat keeps him from running away. He picks him up really gently in his mouth and doesn't hurt him with his teeth or nothing," Neville said slightly excited mind off of potions for the moment. Harry smiled at the slightly chubby boy.

"That's good, I'm glad Hades, and Trevor are friends. Are you excited for potions?" Harry continued already knowing the answer. Neville's face dropped and he shook slightly.

"Nnnooo, Professor Snape was really angry today at breakfast," Neville answered.

"Ahhh, that may have been my fault," Harry answered slightly sheepish.

"May have been?" said Draco cutting in. "You stole his coffee, and then got LeStrange in trouble since he had the pot. Thought Nasta was going to wet himself."

"Oops?" Harry said slightly amused at the thought of Nasta wetting himself. "Well, any who do you want to sit with me for potions Neville? I can help you, though I think you'll do fine. I heard talk that you're good with plants and their uses and potions does a lot of that and if I have to I'll protect you from the big scary bat," Harry finished before realizing Neville had gone white and was looking at something over his shoulder. 'Shit' thought Harry as a heavy hand was set on his shoulder. Harry turned around.

"Oh hello Professor Snape," Harry began in a faux innocent tone. Snape's glare made him gulp and second guess his earlier judgement.

"The next time you take my morning coffee I will string you up by your feet and use you as a piñata to alleviate my anger before harvesting your body for potions ingredients is that clear?" Snape asked voice low.

"As a crystal sir, steal Flitwick's coffee next time, or really anyone who won't kill me for doing so," answered Harry.

"Indeed," Snape answered before looking at the rest of Harry's year mates. "Well what are you waiting for? Into the classroom." Harry grabbed Neville's hand and led him to the seat beside where he had already set up his station and sat him down before sitting down in his own seat to listen to Snape's speech.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few.... Who possess the predisposition.... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death. Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confident enough not to pay attention! Mr. Weasely." Ronald Weasely jumped from where he was talking to Dean Thomas to look at Snape.

"Yes, Sir?" Weasely asked.

"Tell me Mr. Weasely what would I get if I added the powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" Snape asked. Weasely nodded.

"I don't know Sir," answered Weasely. Granger's hand immediately shot up. Snape ignored her and turned to the Slytherin side.

"Five points from Gryffindor Perhaps that was too difficult of a question, Draco, same question," Snape said.

"A powerful sleeping potion Sir, it's known as the Draught of the Living Death," answered Draco.

"Correct, five points to Slytherin. Shall we try again?" Snape said once more looking at the Gryffindor side of the room. Granger's hand was high in the air trying to get Snape to pick her. Snape once more ignored her and turned instead to Weasely's partner. "Mr. Thomas, can you tell me where one would find a bezoar?" Snape asked.

"I know it's in an animal's stomach but I don't know which one sir," Dean asked. Snape nodded slightly.

"No points to or away, Mr. Thomas. You are correct it is in the stomach of an animal a goat to be exact. One more try before we move on. What is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfsbane..." Snape paused before looking for another victim. He caught Harry's eye who flicked his own at his partner Neville. Snape raised an eyebrow at Neville's seating choice before continuing. "Mr. Longbottom."

"Um, nothing sir, it also goes by the name aconite sir," Neville answered nervously.

"Correct Mr. Longbottom, five points. It is good to see that at least one Gryffindor is willing to do the reading for the class before the class," Snape drawled moving to the front of the room where the blackboard already had the recipe for the cure boils potion posted.

"I expect a vial of this potion on my desk before you leave here today. I expect you to follow the directions to the exact measurement, to make the slightest mistake could prove... disastrous. You may begin," said Snape said before making his way between desks to keep an eye on their potions.

"I'll grab the ingredients we don't have in our student boxes if you want to set out the porcupine quills, ginger and Pungous Onions?" Harry asked. Neville nodded and began digging in his student case as Harry gathered the Snake fangs, Flobberworm mucus, stewed slugs, and Shrake spines. Soon enough Harry was grinding the snake fangs and Stirring the potion gently. Neville went to add the three porcupine quills when Harry stopped him by lightly grabbing his wrist.

"We have to take it off the heat first or it'll explode,"Harry said letting go of Neville's wrist and pulling the cauldron off of theflame before dousing it. By the end of class Harry and Neville were able tohand in a perfect potion earning another five points for each of their housesbefore they made their way to the greenhouses before lunch.