Chapter Nine

There is nothing better than a good break, paid off after dragging long shooting. Waking up late in the morning and rolling in bed is my usual thing these days. But then again, as soon as my brain starts working and the event of the night before comes to my mind, I start getting depressed and somehow a hazy cloud of unknown feeling overcomes me.

I lazily reach for my phone on the nightstand. Opening a new tab, I hesitate and wonder if I really want to know what the media talks about us. In the end, after staring at the Google's search engine, I give up. What else is there to know that I don't already know about last night?

I am just about to clean up my late breakfast when my phone starts ringing. Picking up the phone, I recognize the caller ID,

"Hello?" I answer the phone, sort of surprise to see mom calling me at this hour of the morning.

"Evelyn, darling. How are you? I called earlier but you didn't answer me,"

"Hi, mom. Yeah, I was having a lazy day. Last night was just... long and boring."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear about that. Sweetie, you should pay more attention to yourself. Have you eaten your vitamins and Iron?" she asks, her nursing senses kicking in.

"I am, mom. Don't worry about me."

"I'm glad," she replies, "So how's everything? I saw your pictures from last night. I see you and Ethan have started publicizing yourselves,"

"We are. He didn't object to me attending the gala with him, which is a great surprise."

"Honey, is everything ok with you two?" she asks, "I still cannot believe your father did this. I am so sorry, Eve. I wish I could do something-

"Mom," I call, trying to interrupt her.

"But I can't sleep at night. I don't want this life for you. I don't want to force you into marriage and I do not agree with your father."

"Mom, please don't. I just... it's ok. We can get through this. Believe me, I don't want this either, but it's not like we have any other choice," I sigh, grabbing a pen in my hand and play around with it.

"I just... I want to see you. I'd like to talk to you. Woman to woman. That's the least I can do. So, what do you say to come home, maybe tomorrow and we'll have dinner?" she suggests.

"That would be amazing, only tomorrow night I'm seeing Ethan," I press my lips together at the sound of that. "You know as a part of being seen in public," I find myself explaining further,

"Ok, then we can do it, tonight. I hope you don't have to be somewhere."

"No," I laugh at how formal she sounds, "tonight sounds great. I'll see you guys tonight,"

"Sure thing. Thanks, honey," she says happily. It's so easy to make her happy.

"Oh and mom... I love you, guys and I'll do anything for you. I just wanted to let you know,"

"I know, honey. I love you too,"

We say our goodbyes and finally hang up. When I look down at the pad, which I have been absently writing about while I was talking to my mother, I find a series of thoughts.

Ethan≠ Marriage.

Angrily, I crumple the paper and throw it in the bin.

I just have to figure out a way to pass this year and stay myself. Wallowing up in my misery sounds like a great plan, but then again that is my only choice.

I don't receive any phone call or text from Ethan until the time, I decide I should get ready if I want to make it home by six on a Friday night. There is this oddness on Friday nights that I do not understand yet I sometimes happen to fall into the stereotype. What is it with people suddenly having enough energy to go out and party after a long week of work? Don't you want to go home and just get a good night's sleep without worrying about tomorrow?