Chapter 59

Being reunited with someone you lost- Someone whom you thought was dead- was a very different thing. You became aware of them like you weren't of anyone else, became aware of the way their breath left their mouth, the pattern of their heart beat, the way their pulse thrummed inside them, making them alive.

I didn't mind that my legs felt sore from kneeling on the floor, or that my body was twisted at an angle that could be considered uncomfortable. Instead I was focusing only on the fact that I could hear my name, whispered against my skin. My grip tightened, my head resting on his shoulder. I could feel Draco's heartbeat. Alive.

I hated pulling out of Draco's arms, of removing myself from him when I had only just gotten him again. But I needed to get ahold of myself, reassemble my thoughts and try to find some sense in what was happening. I wasn't dreaming. That much I knew. Maybe I was dead.

He was supposed to be.

But here he was, kneeling in front of me with flushed cheeks and bright eyes, very much alive. My Draco.

"You're not dead." I said after a moment, my voice coming out strangled-sounding. Draco gave a small nod.

"True."

"You were never dead."

"True, again." He said quietly. I stared at him for a moment, stunned. My heart felt like it was gonna thud out of my chest. He watched me carefully for a moment, watching for my reaction. At least he saw it coming. My hand lashed out, smacking his arm roughly.

"You ass!" I hissed, rising from the ground and walking past him towards the fire, running my fingers through my hair in agitation. I paused in front of it, my hands clasped over my mouth. Tears had made my vision blurry, but I could still see the flames dancing in front of me, red and orange and bright.

I could hear Draco come up behind me, his hand gently coming to rest on my shoulder without any movement to get closer. Probably wise. Carefully I reached over, letting my hand rest on top of his. His skin was warm. The sob I let out was muffled, choked. I tried not to mind.

I stood there for what felt like forever, staring at the fire, letting the flames heat up my skin. At some point I could feel my polyjuice potion wear off. Fitting. There would be no more secrets here, after all. Draco didn't make a move to come closer. But he didn't move away either, his hand gentle but most present on my shoulder, his fingers pressing into my skin under my hand. Lifting my other one I quickly wiped at my face, taking a deep breath. Get your shit together, Lily.

Squaring my shoulders I turned, letting Draco's hand slip from my shoulder. He had solemn stillness about him, gray eyes wary and watchful as I stared back at him, giving my mind a moment to catch up. After thinking someone was dead, for days, weeks, months- It was strange to have them stand in front of you, look at you. To have them be a physical being again, when for so long they had been nothing but a ghost.

Again my hand acted out of its own accord, reaching out slowly till just the tips of my fingers touched the middle of Draco's chest. I could feel his heartbeat thrum through my fingertips. I inhaled sharply, moving to jerk my hand back- But Draco was quick, his fingers wrapping gently around my wrist and pulling it back to him. I watched with wide eyes as he lifted my hand up, pressing my knuckles to his lips in much the same fashion he had before, different place different time. Different face, I suppose. I could still hear Fleur and Bill's wedding music in my ears if I tried hard enough.

I watched as, though in slow motion, he let my hand go, let it slip from his fingers. Now- The thing about tension is that it can only hold for so long before it snaps. And no sooner had he let go of my hand was I moving forward, Draco's arms already reaching out for me, gently cupping the sides of my face as he kissed me, lovingly. Sweetly.