The Striding Spire: 5

'Let's think,' said Jay. 'Hidden Ministry aside, the Goldnoses are still banned in virtually every magickal community there is. It is no mean feat, then, to breed them in spite of the law, and to keep it going for so long. It also takes considerable courage to consistently flout a law which carries such severe penalties for disobedience. Somebody really, really wanted those pups.'

'Takes courage, or confidence?' I suggested. 'You might flout that law with impunity if you felt that you had the right people on your side.'

Jay blinked at me. 'You mean somebody high in authority might be behind this?'

'If not behind it, then at least willing to turn a blind eye — and perhaps to shield those responsible from the consequences, should their activities ever come to light.'

Jay nodded thoughtfully. 'Worryingly plausible. Or, it's the responsibility of some group who felt they had power enough in themselves to ignore the general disapprobation.'

'Maybe it's somebody like us, who falls under the jurisdiction of the Hidden Ministry and therefore is not, technically, acting illegally.'

'But if the Ministry only dates from the late seventeen hundreds, and the pups had already passed out of all knowledge by then, who bridged that gap?'

'Fair point. Perhaps the Ministry isn't the only organisation that hasn't enacted such laws. Mauf?'

'All officially recorded and recognised magickal organisations had agreed upon, and enacted such laws, by 1731,' said Mauf.

'Official?' said Jay. 'Are there unofficial ones?'

'It happens on occasion. They do not tend to last long, however.'

Which made sense. Setting up your own unsanctioned magickal state and proposing therefore to consider yourself above all magickal laws was not exactly widely supported behaviour. The usual consequence would be exactly as that enterprising band of spriggans discovered in 1727 — a speedy dispatch to prison, or something worse. It would be like buying your own island, declaring it an independent country, and expecting every other country in the world to nod, smile and pat you tolerantly on the head while you proceed to set up a factory for nuclear bombs on your tiny slice of paradise. This is not how it works.

But it doesn't stop people from occasionally trying.

'I wonder if some rogue magickal state has somehow gone undetected since the early eighteenth century?' I mused aloud.

'It isn't impossible,' said Jay. 'Not quite.'

'It is highly unlikely,' I agreed. 'And perhaps we're thinking too big now.'

'A smaller operation would have the greater chance of success,' said Jay. 'The bigger you are, the more noticeable you tend to be.'

'Some smaller operation with an incurable lust for treasure?' I suggested.

'Why else would you brave all dire consequences to keep a Goldnose handy?'

I nodded. 'I think Milady is right. Somebody needs to have a quiet talk with the spriggans.'

Valerie needed to have a quiet talk with Mauf, too, and so did Miranda. His casual revelation that the Dappledok Dell had been responsible for at least eight rare and desirable species of beasts required immediate investigation. I left the book at the Library, pausing only to relay enough of our findings to thoroughly electrify our sedate and dignified Boss Librarian. So energised was she, she almost tore the book right out of my hands.

I left them chatting cosily together, or so I hoped. Knowing Val, it would soon turn into an interrogation.

My next plan was to hustle back up to Milady's tower to relay Mauf's findings — and to see if the guide she had mentioned was here yet. I wanted to be on the road already, for little good ever comes of delaying something important. The sooner we talked to the spriggans of Dappledok, the better.