Epilogue : Part 7/7

Running my fingers over the pages of the book, I sighed as I slid it back onto the shelf with the others. Rows of colors stacked against each other, their spines the sole interruption of the emerald and brown palette of our bedroom. Over the years the dark wood of the shelves had been outmatched by stripes of sky blues and dark reds and warm golds, the latest added to the pile a pale green. It'd been hard to put down, taken some time to finally finish, but all good things had to come  to an end.

And more often then not, another good thing rose up to take its place.

"We need to get going, love." Arms wrapped around my waist from behind, lips pressed to the spot where my neck met my shoulder. "Some people are becoming impatient."

"I was just finishing my book," I replied. Turning in the circle of Draco's arms, I smiled as I wrapped my my arms around his neck, ran my fingers lightly through the short hair at the nape of his neck. White had begun to slowly appear in his temples, rising the already pale blonde to near platinum, but age only seemed to have elevated his appearance from sharp to regal. His eyes had not changed, grey and bright as ever, shining above his small smile as he looked down at me.

"Was it a good one?" He asked. I  nodded, balancing carefully on my toes to press my lips to his. The taste of his morning tea was still on his lips, a peppermint that turned my smile wry.

"The very best," I assured. Glanced over his shoulder to the open door behind him, the empty hallway outside of it. "Where'd the kids go? I haven't seen them since breakfast."

"Downstairs waiting." He rolled his eyes. "I had to disconnect to the Floo again. Regulus was trying to sneak out early to visit Adelle."

I shook my head. "Of course he was," I sighed, torn between exasperation and amusement as the mother of a boy stupidly in love. "That's six times this summer. If he was to be sorted now, I'd bet he'd come close to Slytherin."

"No, he wouldn't," Draco said confidently. "A Slytherin wouldn't have been caught. Our son has been, and will likely always be, thoroughly Hufflepuff."

"That Hufflepuff is about as ambitious as Merlin himself," I told him with a small grin. "I'm not sure he would've made headboy otherwise."

Draco considered it with a brief nod. "True. It'll be interesting to see where Thea ends up."

"I still say Gryffindor," I mused, taking my fingers to his coat and smoothing out the lapels. Draco smirked.

"I won't bet against you," he told me, pressing his forehead down to mine, fingers moving from around my waist to gently twine with my own. "Have you packed? I know we agreed we'd leave tomorrow, but Blaise said the villa is already empty and cleaned–"

"I packed last night," I told him warmly, using the lapels of his coat to pull him closer. "We can leave after lunch this afternoon, if you want."

I took it as a yes when his hands rose to cup my face and he kissed me, softly, sweetly, the way that still made my heart flutter even after all this time. I laughed when my spine pressed back against the bookshelf, his hand dropping from my face to slide down my side, skimming over the fabric of my sweater. I was just reaching up on my toes again when two knocks came against the open door, a quiet cough.

"While I am grateful you two still love each other," an amused voice said from the doorway, "I'm not sure I'd mind if I didn't  witness the proof."

Draco pressed his forehead to mine, sighed. Kissed me briefly one last time and muttered something about Brazil before he stepped back enough that I could look over his shoulder. Regulus, tall and too similar to his father for his own good, leant against the doorway, watching us with raised eyebrows. His dark hair was combed neatly, grey eyes bright and like every year he was already dressed in his Hogwarts robes, Hufflepuff tie knotted perfectly. I smiled, rested my head on Draco's shoulder.