Chapter 24:

Just as we are about to head back into the hall, Aragorn goes running past like a mad man. One look at Legolas and we are rushing in behind.

"The beacons of Minas Tirith!" Aragorn says, out of breath. "The beacons are lit! Gondor calls for aide!"

Gondor actually called for aide!

Éowyn rushes into the room and moves to Éomer. Tension builds in the room as the king looks up from studying his map. I give Legolas's hand a squeeze.

Please say you will answer.

"Muster the Rohirrim!" Théoden says and addresses his men. "Assemble the men at Dunharrow. As many men as can be found. You have two days. On the third, we ride for Gondor and war."

Éomer practically falls to the floor as he sprints out of the hall as fast as his feet will take him.

"Gamling!" Théoden shouts.

"My lord," Gamling comes to his side.

"Make haste across the Riddermark. Summon every able-bodied man to Dunharrow."

"I will."

I rush to my room and load up all my weapons; my bow and quiver around my back, Lightsbane already at my side, the Elven swords that were given to me behind my shoulders, two knives strapped to my belt, two more peeking out of my boots, and several daggers. I rush back into the hall in time to join the others as we all follow the king outside just as a sound of a gong sounds from nearby and the city turns chaotic. Merry rushes over to the king before I can stop him and kneels before Théoden with his small sword.

"Excuse me," the Hobbit says. "I have a sword. Please accept it. I offer you my service, Théoden King."

Théoden crouches down and lifts Merry up.

"And I gladly accept it," he says. "You shall be Meriadoc, esquire of Rohan."

Merry grins at the king and at me before running off.

"Gimli!" Legolas shouts to the Dwarf nearby.

Gimli comes running over.

"We need to get to the stables," Legolas says.

The three of us rush through the crowd and reach the stables to find others have the same idea. Éowyn begins to lead her horse out from its stall, passing Aragorn.

"Will you ride with us?" he asks.

"Just to the encampment. It's tradition for the Women of the Court to farewell the men," she answers.

Aragorn sees something on her saddle and lifts the blanket to reveal the steel of a sword. She swats him away and hides her sword once more. I know exactly what Éowyn is planning on doing and I won't stop her, but I pray she stays safe and isn't too reckless. I move to Ashkin's stall and he sniffs my hand before neighing, bringing a smile to my face.

"The men have found their captain," Éowyn says to my brother. "They will follow you into battle, even to death. You have given us hope."

She rides out of the stables and I catch Aragorn with a strange look on his face. Everyone thinks him a king already, yet I know he hasn't accepted the title. The king himself comes into the stable house to fetch his own horse.

"Horse-master," Gimli calls to him. "I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy."

"Your kinsmen may have no need to ride to war. I fear war already marches on their own lands," Legolas says.