Chapter 7.

After Howl had left, I walked towards the door. I stared curiously at the wooden door knob and slowly raised my hands to it.

"What are you doing?" Markl demanded standing next to me.

"I just saw Howl leave," I answered "he went into something black. When I came in however, it was not black and there was the Waste."

"You are in a magicians house," Markl informed holding the door knob "and here you are expecting things to be normal."

That part was true. I still hadn't  gotten used to the magic.

"Look", Markl said pointing at a dial next to the door. It had for blobs: red, yellow, green and black. There was a Pointer currently on green.

"These blobs lead to different places when under the pointer" Markl said "the red one goes to Kingsbury, the green one to Porthaven and the yellow to the Waste."

"And where does the black one leads to?" I asked curiously.

"Only Master Howl knows that" Markl replied turning away and heading upstairs "what are you going to do today?"

At this, an evil grin crept over my face.
**

"You are killing us!" Calcifer screamed for the hundredth time in a single hour as I brushed the dust from the floors.

"Shut up" I ordered and angrily brushed away little insects "when was the last time this old house was cleaned?"

"Not since I am here", Markl shouted at the top of his lungs before running outside "and that was ten years ago."

I felt like puking when I heard this. Howl seriously did not care about his castle.

Time skip~

Resting my back against the wall, I sighed, tired. I had cleaned up majority of the house but Michael's and Howl's room were left. And the bathroom was also untouched. It was night and Calcifer was blazing in the hearth. I snuggled in my bed under the stairs which Markl had made for me but I couldn't sleep. I recalled looking at some books on the table and I longed to read them. Finally, I slipped out of the bed and went to the table.

"Where are you going?" Calcifer asked.

I did not answer him. Instead I picked up a book and went back to my bed. Calcifer understood and became quiet. I opened the book and flipped through pages, scanning each one. I could not make out what was written in them. It was some other language. I asked Calcifer about it but he himself had no idea.

"Only Howl knows" he said.

Suddenly a throbbing pain started in my head. I held my head in my hand. The pain was too much to bear.

"You okay?" Calcifer asked concerned.

"No" I choked "I am having a headache."

"You could be ill" Calcifer said.

"Thanks Cal" I said "but I don't want to imagine that. I will go to bed instead. Night!"

I lay down and pretended to be asleep. After sometime Calcifer fell asleep. Once he did, I started crying quietly. I felt sick and tired all of the sudden. Quite suddenly came the noise of someone opening the door and coming in. I froze knowing it was Howl.

"You are still awake" Howl said standing beside my bed. I knew that pretending won't work so I turned to him. He looked at me, his eyes widened.

"You okay?" he asked urgently.

"Yes", I said "just headache."

"That's not a good sign" he said thoughtfully.

Suddenly he placed his hand on my forehead. I couldn't breathe. His hand was warm and pressed softly against my throbbing forehead. Finally he took it away but didn't say anything. However, there was a sudden change in his facial expression and he looked tense and worried.

"What happened?" I whispered.

"Nothing" he said turning to go upstairs "you should get some sleep. Good night, (Y/N). "

"Night."

Votes? Comments?