Chapter XLV: I Present, I Present Not

Lady Therese De Beauharnais, Duchess of Roche

7 December, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

I almost stumbled in shock when I returned to my chambers that night.

A petite woman with waist length brunette hair was seated on my rocking chair in front of the fireplace, fiddling with her engagement ring. She stared at the flames in front of her, her goblin green eyes unfocused, lost in her thoughts.

I took off my veil, and threw it on the dressing table. "Lord, my Lady," I blew a breath through my lips, "not that I am displeased to see you, but I would appreciate some warning next time."

Lady Evangeline of Warwick glanced up at me, startled, before smiling faintly.

"My apologies, Tess," she stood up to face me, "I wanted to meet you as soon as you arrived in Bordeux, but Lord Timothée told me you were visiting a friend and suggested that I wait here for you."

I drew up a chair for myself, and bade her to take a seat once more. "I see," I nodded, "so how may I help you?"

"I wanted to personally invite you to Ned's and my wedding," she began hesitantly, "Ned would have been here as well, but he and Tommy are currently in Testalt, visiting their family."

So that was the excuse he had given her.

In truth, Lord Testalt had ridden to Testalt to leave Tommy behind with his family, in the safety of his own lands. He was then going to travel to Roche, to help the rest of the Earls there prepare for the worst if the petition failed.

That letter that Captain Everard had brought me from the King a week ago, blaming me for Lord Bertrand's execution, had left the Earls stunned. I had written to Lord Testalt as soon as I had gathered them together, and discussed and decided what was to be done about the petition.

We had all agreed that it was imperative that I presented it to the King before the latter could find the opportunity to order my arrest.

In the meanwhile, Evie held out the card in her hands towards me. "The wedding will be held on New Year's day," her voice was soft, "the both of us will be extremely happy if you and your family can attend."

Hesitantly, I accepted it from her, and fingered the gold embossing on the thick, cream coloured invitation. However, I had to suppress a chuckle when I noticed the borders of crossed swords along the edges of the card.

"Tommy designed the borders, did he not?" I guessed.

"Aye, he did," she laughed gently, "quite insistent he was, too. He is very much a part of this wedding as the either of us, so Ned and I allowed it."

I broke into a weak smile at that, and looked down at the invitation once more. "I appreciate the invite, my Lady. Thank you," my voice was soft, "my sister Clara would be able to attend, but I may not."

She bit her lip, genuinely disappointed. "Oh."

"'Tis not because I do not want to come. I will always want the best for you and Ned," I hurried to assure her, taking a deep breath, "but these next few weeks are going to be rather tumultuous, and I do not know if - "

"Because of the petition?" she guessed sadly.

I was surprised. "You know about it?"

"My earldom, Warwick, is a part of Anchorvale," she reminded me, "and its heiress presumptive, Lady Caroline, was very busy last month gathering signatures for it on your behalf. Evoric and I signed it as well. When are you presenting it to His Majesty?"