Chapter XLVII: I Risk, I Risk Not

I know you guys have been waiting for this chapter since I posted the prologue almost three years ago, so here it is!

***

Lady Therese De Beauharnais, Duchess of Roche

9 December, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Castle, Bordeux

Monrique

"I am sorry I am late."

The next morning, the eighteen women gathered around me outside the Council chambers turned around to find Jules slowly waddling towards us. They made way for her, as she approached me.

"It is only five minutes past 11," Lisa assured her, patting her shoulder, "do not worry."

She smiled at her, although it did not quite reach her eyes. Her small, heart-shaped countenance was pale, and etched with exhaustion.

My forehead creased, as I observed her. "What happened to you?"

Her gaze fleeted from mine. "I could not sleep well last night," she muttered, "I think I was a little too excited for today." She jested weakly.

The tension in the air eased at once. While the others chuckled with her, I did not fail to notice her discreetly grip her lower back while pretending to smoothen out the wrinkles on her gown, or the brief flash of discomfort that crossed her eyes.

My frown deepened.

"We had best go in now," Liv spoke up quietly just then, "Your Royal Highness, if you please." She gestured to the door.

Silence fell over our group. Jules nodded at her, taking a deep breath, and strode forward towards the guards standing by the door. The rest of us followed behind her.

Upon seeing us approach, the guards exchanged looks. "Your Royal Highness, the Council is in session," one of them stated flatly, "we cannot allow you – "

"Let them know that the matter is urgent," she cut him off, "and that all of us intend to wait here until we are allowed to enter." Her right hand deliberately moved to rest over her belly.

The guards swiftly slipped inside the chamber at that.

Jules turned her head towards us in the meanwhile, her hazelnut brown eyes twinkling impishly. "I could not resist taking advantage," she admitted, "I want to enjoy what is left of my pregnancy."

"Amuse yourself with it as much as you like," Lady Camille chuckled, "you wasted most of those months in confinement, after all."

She grinned at her, before turning to face the door once more. While the rest began to debate about the need for confinement during pregnancy, I continued watching Jules.

From her side profile, I noticed her smile from earlier thin into a pained, determined line. Her eyes gleamed with tears, as she shifted her weight on her feet.

Anxiety brewed in the pit of my stomach. I took a step closer to her, and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Cousin," I murmured from the corner of my mouth, "are you all right? Do you need to sit down?"

She did not turn around, but took my hand on her shoulders, and gripped it. "A little bit of unease in my back, nothing more," her lips barely moved, "do not worry about me."

The force with which she gripped my hand told an entirely different story.

I sucked in a sharp breath. Was she about to go into labour?