Chapter LI: To Visit, And Be Visited

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

12 December, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Bordeux Dungeons, Bordeux

Monrique

"I am bored," I whine, "tell me another story."

The army officers brought Tess and I back to our dungeons mere minutes after Jules allowed us to hold her newborn daughter. Tess will have to wait here for her petition to be passed into law, while I have to wait to stand trial for attempted murder, which is to be held in two weeks' time.

Which I truly do not want to think about -

Silence sits between us, as often as it has, heavy and contemplative. We have now run out of things to speak of, after seeing Jules through the last hour of her labour yesterday, after gushing over how adorable the baby is, after reliving and discussing every last aspect of our respective tales.

Tess is startled out of her reverie at the sound of my voice. She turns towards me now, and her ocean blue eyes are beginning to fill with equal parts amusement, and exasperation.

"That is all that was to you?" she raises an eyebrow, "a story?"

"In the end, that is all they are. Mere short stories that weave together to form a lengthy tale called life," I shrug, "one such short story has ended. What is next?"

"Short stories. That is a nice way to put it," she muses, "unfortunately, I am not the one writing them - and therefore, I am afraid I do not know what is in store for me next."

"Mayhap more excitement?" I suggest, "and adventures, and battles – "

A shudder runs through her at once. "Oh, Lord, nay, Harrington," she groans, "for the next couple of years, at least, I would like some peace in my life."

"Peace?" I wrinkle my nose.

She nods, amused. "An utterly mundane life in Roche, where I can wake up to a good breakfast," she describes quietly, "and then open my home to the people of Roche on even days of the week, for them to let me know of any requests, complaints or concerns they have - or travel around the various earldoms myself to gather those. On the odd days, I will go down to work at the Court of the Lady Justice. In the evening, I will return home have dinner, and spend some time with Clara...before she marries Robert and moves away with him to Bordeux, that is." She adds as an afterthought.

"And then what will you do?" I ask softly.

"Well, my evenings will become completely free after that," she sounded a little sad, "it will be a good time to pick up a hobby."

I am intrigued. "What hobby?"

"Archery, mayhap?" a ghost of a smile plays about her lips, "if you will be kind enough to teach me, that is - "

At that moment, I hear a key being jiggled into the lock. I motion for Tess to remain silent, and we both sit upright and stare intently at the door. The last time it opened, Evie brought grave tidings about Jules.

I tense.

The door soon opens, groaning loudly as it does so, to reveal two army officers, whose countenances are void of all emotion, as they stand at attention and stare above our heads, unseeing.

"You have visitors."

They then step aside to usher in a lean, young man, whom I never thought I will see again. His sea-green eyes swiftly snap to where I am sitting, and hold my gaze.

My heart leaps to my mouth at once. Sebastian.

I see that he is accompanied by an unfamiliar brunette. The young girl, most likely in her late teens, bears all signs of having been tormented and imprisoned like us, over a much longer period of time.