CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE - Sinister Plotting

"You failed."

"I realize that."

"What kind of demon are you that you can't kill a ten-year-old child?"

"I underestimated her skill. I also failed to realize that she would have a way to contact Lord Frost. The plan would have succeeded if he had not interfered. We need to think of something else. The brat has obviously learned how to read her instincts when it comes to paranormal and supernatural beings. It might be best if we tried a more direct approach. One of my Lyndraths could finish her off quickly but it would be too easy to trace it back to me and Frost will know I have escaped my prison. There is a need for a strategy that will keep his eyes away from us."

"Agreed."

Mortem and his accomplice were sitting in a cheap hotel room in Salina, Kansas. The light beside the bed was the only one on with the old tube television playing quietly in the background to mask their conversation. The side table was full of partially eaten takeout boxes from the local Chinese place and a few empty cans of beer. The trash can was full of cigarette butts, ashes, and boxes. The brown patterned bedding was disheveled and the extra pillows were tossed on the floor. The curtains were closed so no one could see in.

"So what's your next move?" asked the man with dark hair as he puffed out smoke.

"It is necessary to use a mortal," said Mortem from the chair in front of the window. His cane rested against the dresser beside him. "This will require finesse and intricate planning. If we play our cards correctly, we may also succeed in framing someone else."

"Who are you thinking about?"

"Count Dracula is currently locked underground under heavy guard but he can still manipulate the mind of weak vampires," said Mortem. "If we plan this accurately, not only will Dracula be personally involved without his knowledge, but he will also take the blame. He will be so angry that he will break free, set loose his army of vampires, and destroy Lord Frost."

"Keeping us out of Lord Frost's eye," said the man with a vile grin as he grabbed a box of sweet and sour pork.

"This will take a few months to plan and execute," said Mortem. "I will have to break into the German sector of Haven and steal his venom without his knowledge. It will be difficult. Lord Kyne is as vigilant as Lord Frost. Thankfully, he is not as powerful. I will need to take Dracula's soul off my shelf in order to have this plan work." He looked at the television for a moment. "If this goes according to plan, we will be able to create a Convert who appears to be under the control of Count Dracula. He will poison the welp and she will die. I will capture her soul in the In Between. She will have no power to stop me and she will have no protection. Queen Aiyanna will be too busy trying to revive her physical form."

"And if you are captured in the process?"

"Unlikely," said Mortem. "Frost is the only one with the power to imprison me and that power can only be used once. He used it to imprison me before. It is over five thousand miles between Heiligdom and Schützen. He will not get there in time. Lord Kyne has no knowledge of who I am. He will not be difficult to hide from."

"What do I need to do?" asked the man.

"Go to Fort Bragg and keep a close watch on the shapeshifter. Keep her under observation for the next several weeks. See who she interacts with on a daily basis and study her routine. We cannot use anyone she knows for this. It will compromise our operation. We will meet again every two weeks until we are ready. I do not have to tell you to avoid detection from her aunt."

"Nobody will know I am there."

"Good."

Mortem stood up and grabbed his cane. He opened the door and with a swish of his black velvet cloak, Mortem was gone, leaving the man alone to finish his meal in quiet solitude. The man watched the television for just over an hour until he fell asleep with the thoughts of murdering Timber playing in his mind.