50's/60's series - john shelby: then he kissed me.

A SERIES OF IMAGINES FOR A PEAKY BLINDER CHARACTER THAT IS BASED ON A SONG FROM THE 50'S OR 60'S.  

[ SONG USED FOR THIS IMAGINE - THEN HE KISSED ME BY THE CRYSTALS ]

It was in the summer of 1921 that you first met John Shelby. Wearing your best dress for the opening of a new club on Canal Street that you had been dragged along to by your friends, you had no intentions of meeting a new fella, never mind falling in love. However, as soon as you had seen John stroll over to you, his confidence oozing, you decided to take the risk before it was too late.

You had caught John's eye before you had even spotted him and John felt as if the air in his lungs have been ripped away as he observed your moves from the other side of the bar. John's brothers noticed, both Arthur and Tommy chortling as they watched John gape at you with puppy-dog eyes. The feelings that were running around in his body was hard to explain, he just knew that he had never felt so attracted to a person that he had never met.

John watched as you threw your head back, laughing at a joke that your friend had said about one of the blokes that she was dating. John found himself smiling whenever he spotted a smile come onto your face, it was infectious, and he couldn't get enough. The loud jazz music that was being blasted out was silent to John, all his focus was on you.

"Go and talk to her mate," Arthur said, annoyed with his brother's antics and nerves. John had been watching you for over an hour, trying to build up the courage to talk to you but every time he downed his drink and stood up to go over, he would sit back down and try to think of some better chat up lines than the ones that Arthur had told him when he was only thirteen.

John turned his head to look at his brother before glancing down at the bottle of whiskey. "I don't know what to say to her."

"Tell her that you are a Shelby, that'll work," Arthur joked but John didn't find it very comical. His nerves were already through the roof and he didn't want to think about what you would do if you found out that he was a Shelby. "Do you want me to tell you something?"

"Not really but go on." John rested his chin on the palm of his hand and waited for Arthur to tell him something that probably wouldn't be valuable.

"I have caught that lady over there looking at you quite a few times, so she must be slightly interested in you," Arthur told his younger brother which perked John up to some extent.

John bit his bottom lip before downing his glass of alcohol for the fourth time that night. "I'm going to do it," John mumbled, more to himself than Arthur.

"That's my brother," Arthur cheered, earning the attention of others, including yourself. John shot daggers at Arthur before pushing his brother down onto the bar stool and ordering him to stay there so John wouldn't have to be mortified by his tremendously drunk brother. "Good luck."

+++

"John Shelby is coming over," your friend whispered in your ear, an anxious giggle leaving her lips when she had finished.

Your eyes widened as you moved your head, so you were facing your friend. Her eyes were filled with excitement as she continued to look over your shoulder. "Stop it, Tilly," you muttered, gently hitting your friend on the arm as she continued to let out mini-squeals of anticipation.

Tilly shook her head as she watched John stop a few feet away from you, awkwardly ordering a drink at the bar for the two of you as he tried to collect himself. Tilly continued to stare as she waited for fearful man to make some sort of move.

"I told you that he was into you, but you never listen, do you?" she said, her finger tapping your nose. "

You pushed Tilly's finger away from your face before turning around a little to get a quick look at John. You had seen him around before and had clearly heard about him, who hadn't? However, being close to John Shelby was completely different to seeing him in the streets in the early mornings. He was dressed in his finest suit, his hair done smartly and a teasing smile on his lips as he looked down at the shiny bar. You could see him thinking, planning.