Epilogue

“I got my wish, I suppose. I left my scar.”- The Fault in Our Stars, now in theatres!

Epilogue

I was sipping hot chocolate, staring at the serene waters in front of me and the shadow of trees around them.  I can hear the birds chirping and they sounded like music to my ears.  Darkness was beginning to fade and only a couple of hours more, it would be sunrise.

I was wrapped in a thick, comfortable white robe.  I slept late last night so usually I would sleep in on a day like this.  But not today.  Last night, I barely even slept.  I have a big smile on my face that I could not even seem to wipe off.

I reminisced the last few months of my life.  From that moment I walked into Burger Inn with Hunter’s arms all around me, my life became peaceful.  Knowing about Hunter’s promise (a.k.a. threat) that anyone who pranks on me again would meet his wrath certainly made the kids in school leave me alone and leave me in peace.  I was invisible.  If they noticed me, well, they learned to keep their thoughts (including their arms and their legs) to themselves. 

Maybe a lot of them still couldn’t believe that Hunter and I were together, but that’s what they do not get.  Love happens when you least expect it to.  It happens in the most wonderful ways and to the least likely people.  Even when Hunter was blind, and he thought he would be a burden to the person he was with, I still fell in love with him.  Even when I thought my scars made me look ugly and monstrous and no one would even like me, Hunter saw the real me and thought I was beautiful enough to like, protect and love.

It took a good twenty-four hours for Denise to recover from her shock when Hunter and I showed up in their house, holding hands.  We finally explained to her how we first met and fell in love.  Hunter told her that I was the reason why he found the will to get his eyesight back and move on with his life.  She didn’t like it at first that her best friend is in love with the cousin she never liked since they were kids, nor that I didn’t tell her about Hunter from the beginning, but eventually, she warmed up to the thought.  She and Hunter found a way to get along and she was excited about the idea that I would not only be her best friend but possibly family too.  Ten bucks say she’s secretly planning our wedding in her head.

She finally got back to her senses and realized that she was not in love with Arthur Buckley.  She was infatuated with him.  It was a crush that should not get out of hand.  She broke up with him and I was there for her when she moped and finally got over it.

There was a day, when we were in our garden, Hunter handed me his phone.  There was a number typed on the screen.  It has two zeros in front, indicating that it was international number.

“What?”  I asked him blankly.

“I found Anderson’s number.”  He replied and my eyes widened.  “Go ahead.  Call him.”  He said reluctantly.

I raised a brow at him.  “Are you sure it’s okay with you?”

He took a deep breath.  “I am still trying to get a grip of this… jealousy thing.  But I’ll be alright.”

“Hunter… Chaise is my friend too.  Whatever he did to me… to us… he still did a lot of things that I was thankful for.”  I said as gently as I could.  Hunter is as sweet as heaven.  But he’s only human… and he could be jealous and possessive too.  But in a way, I find that flattering and endearing.  I know I would feel the same if some other girl tries to flirt around with him.

He smiled at me gently.  Then he leaned forward to give me a gentle kiss on the lips.  “I know.”  He said.  “And you’re with me.  So Anderson isn’t really my problem anymore.”