Chapter 2

Helena: (A/N: I couldn't find an image that was fitting for a 12 year old Helena so I chose this one as a reference for my Readers.)

How is this possible?! There must be something wrong with this damn crystal!

"I want a retest!" 

I glared at the infuriating man who was standing in front of me. It was as if he didn't understand why I was so upset. How could I only have Light for my Element? I was supposed to be extremely rare with a Dual Element of both Light and Dark! This makes no sense. 

"I'm sorry Miss Clairmount but you've already unlocked your full potential and have been given the journals to your name," he looked at me in confusion. 

"There's obviously something wrong with this crystal!" 

I would've continued berating the man if that woman hadn't hurriedly stepped in. 

"Helena, calm down," she looked at the gathering of people before turning her attention back to me, "There's never been a problem with the crystal used in an unlocking ceremony, sweetie. Maybe, if you're still upset later, we can see if Damon will have you tested again?"

That was another thing that pissed me off with this interloper. When I had first returned 'home' I'd been positive I'd be beaten and forced to act like a slave but for some reason they'd tried making me call my uncle 'daddy' and this slut 'mommy'. I obviously refused. 

"Lily," I snarled her name, "It's obvious this imbecile has messed with the crystal. I refuse to leave until he does the ceremony again."

Lily:

There wasn't anything I could do to avoid this situation

There wasn't anything I could do to avoid this situation. Helena just wouldn't let this go and every time I heard her call me by name instead of mommy.. it tore something up inside. 

I turned to the man with an apologetic look, "I'm so sorry. Can she please be allowed to have a second unlocking performed?"

When it looked as though he'd eaten something sour and was about to refuse I bent over in a bow and practically shouted, "Please!"

Everyone seemed silent inside of the Hall. I could feel the anger of Nathaniel who had followed me here. He'd been near the back where I had been standing but had moved forward during my rush towards Helena. 

"Fine. Hurry up, girl," he grunted towards Helena. 

"That's what I thought," she snorted before moving forward to place her hands on the crystal again. 

I unbent and took a few steps back with a conflicting look in my eyes. I've never actually seen someone be given another shot at the Crystal. In the past, it was said that the Unlocking Ceremony was similar to a blessing from the Gods and gifting the User with Magic. 

Can someone be blessed more than once?

My answer arrived a few seconds later when Helena screamed in pain and fell to the floor. I looked on horrified before rushing forward to grab her. Something began to form across her back and when I first saw the Markings begin to appear I immediately called forth my magic to shield it from prying eyes. 

These weren't proper Markings. One look was enough to tell me that much. She also .. there was something decidedly wrong with her. It didn't feel anything like the elements I've felt before. I was hard pressed to step away from her but the conflicting emotions warred inside of me before I picked her up and walked off stage. 

At some point Nathaniel jogged up the steps to grab the small pile of Journals with Helena's name on them. I briefly glanced and noticed a new book that practically screamed 'avoid at all costs'. Hopefully someone could lock that one up somewhere in order for Lily to stay clear. 

Nathaniel ran to my side as we navigated our way from the crowd. 

"Switch?"

I looked over and took in the face next to me. These past few years I've barely seen him or the other two boys. Most of the time they were training with Damon or I was healing while increasing my magic. He had become even more handsome these past few years. Nathaniel was sixteen this year and had just gone through a growth spurt it would seem. 

All the boys were taller than me though so it shouldn't be surprising. Nathaniel's hair was braided to mid back so that it would stay out of his face. His green eyes almost seemed to glow as they peered at me with concern. 

"Sure. Let's get to a place with less people first."

We finally found a spot to switch our burdens and I made sure that Helena's back was still covered. 

"Do you know what is on her back," Nathaniel asked as we made our way home. I bit my lip in contemplation. 

Should I discuss this with him? Although he was a young man now it didn't mean that I should burden him with something like this. I had planned on discussing the issue with Damon but that was also a difficult task if he decided that it was better to stay at his Job instead of coming home. 

Nathaniel was bound to see Damon before I did so I suppose I could speak a bit about it. 

"She's been given a curse.. or a gift. However you look at it, I suppose."

"How do you see it," he asked as he turned to look at me before looking forward again. 

"It's a curse. A very dark and Olde curse. These types of Magics haven't been heard of since the times when Star Users worshiped Immortals religiously. Now, people only believe in their own power and don't give sacrifices as of old."

Nathaniel had a confused look on his face.

"What do you mean Olde Magics?"

"You've obviously not been reading. I'm sure if I were to talk to Vincent about this he'd be capable of giving me an answer," I said with slight amusement even though I was still terrified for my daughter, "Olde Magics were thought to be the byproduct of the Immortals from the Immortal Plain giving blessings to the Mortals here on Meridia. Of course there were different Species but the Humans were the ones to be blessed. They were the ones to activate Magic inside of us and they could also take it away. Where do you think our Journals come from?"

He looked to be seriously thinking about it. 

"You know.. I've never actually thought about it. I had assumed that the people who performed the Unlocking Ceremony were the ones who gave us our Journals."

I couldn't help but laugh out right. "Oh no! Hahaha! Nathaniel, how could they do such a thing so fast? Well, you can believe what you will but the truth is that the Immortals supposedly catalog each Mortal and monitor their bodies 'chemistry' until the day of their Unlocking Ceremony. When they are blessed, a Journal most suited for them is given," I paused as I looked down at the black Journal, "That is why I find this Journal so very disturbing. As well as that cursed Marking on my daughters back."

At that, we both remained silent on our walk towards Home. 

A/N: I decided to spoil you guys. Yes, I know it would've been best to wait until the next time to update to post but oh well.