Chapter 14

I had hardly pulled myself out of bed and was brushing my hair when Ian stormed into my room. He looked haggard and rumpled. I wondered how long my family had been locked up in Mother's rooms. The dark circles under my brother's eyes were stark against his pale cheeks.

"We have to talk," he said, frowning at my unmade bed and dressing gown.

"Sit," I pointed at the couch with my hairbrush. Glancing at the clock and noting the late hour — if seven was seen as late — I said mildly, "No morning rides today?"

Ian gave me a humorless laugh and then squinted at the bed, studying it closely. I wondered if he knew about Alex sleeping there. If his strange perception could pick up on the rumpled pillows and askew blankets.

"Even your bed has ruffles. How on earth do you sleep comfortably?" He asked.

I let out a tight sigh, perhaps betraying too much relief that he hadn't inquired after any nocturnal bedfellows. My cheeks turned red, and I turned back to the mirror in haste. "You've seen my bed before," I pointed out.

"It was dark, then."

"Is this really what you want to talk about?" I asked, frustrated.

"We can talk about anything you want, sister. Maybe we'll start with your cryptic warning not to count on the Fist. What useful insight. But how would you acquire such information?" Ian shook his head, smiling slowly. He laughed to himself. "You know what, I don't want to know."

Despite myself, I smiled. I turned on the stool before the vanity and faced him. "Yes, the war. Let's talk about that. Your suspicions were right. When you were sharing your guesses, how certain were you that Father would act? Do you really want to do this? Must you all go? Surely there are other options than what I heard in Mother's chambers last night."

Ian chewed on the inside of his cheek, looking warily at the chambermaid picking up around the room. I gently dismissed her, asking her to come back later. She gave me a pained expression as if she wanted to stay and hear what Ian had to say. It would have been relevant to her, I knew she had a son around my age and he would be included in the forces recruited from Stormway. I shook my head. Head bowed, the maid left. Once the door snicked shut, Ian started talking.

"I've had my suspicions for a while. It's why Alex's appearance at the Standing spurred me into action. The only logical conclusion was that Father was going to force an alliance between you both and use it as leverage. I thought this would happen, but I didn't anticipate Father having other plans with other Lords on the Mainland. Plans with more willing contacts." Ian took off his glasses and rubbed his face. He looked at me with unfocused eyes, shaking his head. "Yesterday we learned that these plans have been in the works for at least a decade."

"Alex mentioned there have been rumors for some time... that an Islander was up to something. They had no idea who or to what extent."

"Another Island Laird, some upstart from the South, shares Father's views and has tirelessly built up the armies across the smaller Islands. The Northern Isles are just as motivated as they need more access to food and farmland, their mountainous terrain offering little to support their people. While there have been plots and treaties for years, the Gathering planned around Walther's Standing was the catalyst. They finally had enough men and enough support on the continent."

I shook my head, "They just decided they wanted to invade the Mainland? Deciding to go to war as easily as if they were picking out what clothes to wear?"

"Essentially," Ian grimaced.

"That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard," I said with a scowl.