chapter ten

JOHNNY'S POINT OF VIEW
•••

i woke up extra early today. why? i don't know. but deciding to make the most of it, i planned to go to starbucks. school started at 8, and it was only 6:43. i got dressed by 6:50, and i scribbled a note to lauren, seeing as our parents were travelling and to inform her that she'd have to walk.

surprisingly, there were actually a few people at starbucks that early. i went and stood in the line. just as i was about to give my order, my phone rang. i excused myself from the line, and picked it up.

"what do you want, laur? a drink?" i asked her. "johnny..come home please." lauren said from the other side. "wait are you crying? what's wrong?" i asked her, worried. "just come home. fast!" she exclaimed. "i'm on my way." i say, exiting starbucks.

i drove home as fast as i could and when i reached, i saw lauren crying in the kitchen. "what's wrong, lauren?" i asked her. "k-kenzie." she sobbed. my heart skipped a beat. "what happened to her?"

"she got into an accident. i would have gone to the hospital myself, but i can't drive." "come on. clean yourself up and we'll go see her.

while lauren went to get ready, i text my parents and tell them where we are going, in case the school asks them why we weren't there.

just when i was done, i got a text from an unknown number. i opened it, and only after reading the first few texts did i remember the last time this person had texted me.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
> long time, no text huh? you thought blocking me would help? well, sorry! u got it wrong. i'm back! and ofc better.
> oh and gws to your girlfriend. maybe i could do that to you next time.

JOHNNY
>who are you? and
don't you dare
try anything!
> + don't lie about that
because if you did you
do that to me kenzie.
i can send you to the police.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
> now now..we don't want the police involved.
> and abt who i am? that is irrelevant, but anyway, if you want a hint, i can give you ome
> i have the letter A in my name, either first or last.

JOHNNY
> woW whAt a fAnTAbuloUs clUe

UNKNOWN NUMBER
>thanks i don't usually
get these compliments

JOHNNY
> i guess you don't usually
get sarcasm either.

UNKNOWN NUMBER
> beware.

JOHNNY
> huh?

UNKNOWN NUMBER
> gone offline five seconds ago

JOHNNY
> i'm not stupid
> you don't get a message
from someone when they go offline.
> and they don't tell you the time

*UNKNOWN NUMBER HAS GONE OFFLINE*

JOHNNY
> now you've gone.

just as i finished replying to this annoying dude, lauren came downstairs. "can we go?" she begged. i nodded, and grabbing my phone and car keys, we left for the hospital.

"which hospital?" i asked lauren, as i started the car.

"notarealnamedontsearchit." lauren said. i nodded at the familiar name, and began driving.

we reached, and before i even stopped the car, lauren had jumped out and run inside. i parked the car myself, and hurriedly followed her inside, to see her talking to a lady at the front desk.

"she's my best friend! i have to see her!" i heard lauren growl as i entered. "what's wrong?" i asked the two of them.

"well...this oh-so-very-king lady isn't letting me see kenzie!" lauren exclaimed, sneering at the woman. the women shot lauren a glare, and i awkwardly made an O shape with my mouth.

"well, would it be possible for you to make an exception just this once. we will forever be grateful." i said, blinking my eyelashes like a girl.

"take your charm somewhere else, kid. you'll be surprised at the amount this happens." she chuckled.

i sighed, giving up, and went and sat down on one of the chairs in the waiting room, where lauren joint me.

"how did you even know about this?" i asked her. "maddie called me, because even their parents are out of town, and she wanted moral support. and i have, after all, been mackenzie's friend for years." lauren boasted.

i gave her a small smile, and then the two of us sat in silence. finally, about half an hour later, maddie walked out of a room. lauren leaped up and engulfed her in an embrace.

i stood on the side, waiting for them to finish their reunion. "thanks for coming." maddie said, giving me a hug as well. i nodded, and then asked her if we could see kenzie.

she shook her head. "the doctors aren't letting me see her either. i've been waiting outside her room." maddie sadly said. i shot her a sympathetic look. "do your parents know?" i asked her.

"yeah..but the next flight is only in three days." maddie explained. i sighed. mackenzie needed her parents right now. "this is like...her second time in almost a week." lauren put in. we were about to reply, when someone called out, "mackenzie frances ziegler."

"that's us!" the three of us exclaimed in sync, causing a few people to shoot us glares, which we ignored.

we rushed into her room, and saw her lying on a stretcher, her eyes barely open. even so, she managed to look beautiful.

i shrugged off the voice in my head and instead turned my attention to mackenzie.

"how are you feeling?" she shrugged and gave a small smile. "what happened?" lauren asked her, still looking worried.

"well, i was in the mood to walk, and so i'd gotten out of the house, and almost immediately a car came speeding down. me being me was too frightened to move, and so i got hit. i don't remember much after that." kenzie explained."

"i came out right after, and the woman who had hit her had stopped her car, and offered to take us to the hospital, and now here we are." maddie finished.

"you're gonna be okay, kenz." i smiled and she shyly returned it.

"okay kids. i'm going to have to ask you to leave. mackenzie needs to rest. we nodded in understanding, and after each of us gave kenzie an air hug, we left.

•••
emelin this is the chapter that was dedicated to you @/hannielovie emclin

[ word count — 1069 words ]
( EDITED )