Chapter 26

"Let's go home, mum said and I quote, 'bring Naru-chan back immediately when you finish your mission or I will Katon you into next week.'" Sasuke said, taking Naruto's hand in his when they were dismissed from the office. They walked hand in hand towards the Uchiha compound. Naruto took a swipe at her hair, Ino asked her to try growing it out and this is just reminding her of why she didn't want to grow it out and why she had cut her hair like a boy.
"Ooo, fried Sasuke. My favourite." Naruto joked and Sasuke smacked her arm for being mean to him. Naruto growled in frustration at her hair as she angrily swept it backwards. "How? What the. I can't. This stupid thing." Naruto muttered before she released Sasuke's hand and in one smooth swoop, swiped up her kunai and aimed at her hair. Sasuke grabbed her wrist immediately, stopping her. "No wait!"
"It's getting in the way."
"You can tie it up." Sasuke suggested. Naruto sighed, that's annoying too. Naruto lowered the kunai, hanging her head. Sasuke frowned, she's upset still. "What's wrong?" Sasuke muttered, tilting her head to meet his eyes.
"I hate long hair. I... When I was younger," Naruto started, swallowing her tears, "I had long hair yeah... I-" Naruto cut herself off, Sasuke gripped her hand as she began to shake.
"It's okay Naruto. You don't have to tell me." Sasuke muttered as he pulled them along so that they can go back home. Naruto stayed silent for a bit before continuing. "I didn't know how to cut my hair," Naruto started softly as they neared the main house. She stopped when Sasuke opened the door so that they can greet.
"Tadaima." Sasuke shouted.
"Okaeri Sasuke! Okaeri Naruto-chan." Mikoto greeted. Naruto hid behind Sasuke still shy. Sasuke nudged her, telling her to say tadaima.
"Ta-tadaima." Naruto said shyly, Mikoto grinned at her before going back to the living room. Sasuke waited patiently for her to pick up where she left off. They sat at the couch, Mikoto sat at the dining table watching the television while cutting up the vegetables for dinner. "People don't like me, Sasuke." Mikoto slowed her cutting to listen in on the conversation.
"They really don't... And they like to do things to me. This one time, they grabbed me by my hair and did stuff to me. Then they said that demons don't have long hair like mine, that I was pretending to be human so that I can eat their children. So they cut it all off." Naruto said. Mikoto glared at the air before she stood suddenly, scaring them. She stormed towards the door with the knife in hand. "Mum, the knife."
"I know." She said darkly. "I'm going to kill them all." Naruto stared at her with wide eyes. Mikoto can't, she's gonna get into trouble. The door sliding open snapped Naruto out from her staring. Naruto shunshinned to her, stopping her in her tracks. "Please. Mikoto-San, there's no need to do this." Mikoto shook in anger.
"I cannot stand them doing this to you. This is ridiculous! They should all die!" Mikoto snarled angrily, Naruto gently took the knife away from her. She held the knife out for Sasuke to take away. Naruto patted Mikoto's back, unsure how to comfort and calm the raging Uchiha. "It's okay. I can protect myself now, Mikoto-san." Naruto reassured, she can't hurt anyone that's for sure but she can outrun the villagers easily. Mikoto stared at her as if searching for something before some of the tension in her face left and she took a deep breath to calm herself. "Fine. I wouldn't kill them," Mikoto said and Naruto let out a breath of relief, "but I am still going to beat them up." She continued, turning swiftly to go out the door. Naruto let out a yelp before she chased after Mikoto. She let out a laugh as she sprints around the Uchiha compound with Naruto chasing after her and Sasuke chasing after Naruto. "I may be old! But I was once a ninja too and I am still fit for active duty~" Mikoto said in a singsong manner.
"No Mikoto-san! Please don't hurt them!"
"Stupid dobe! Why do you never care about yourself? Mum is doing this for you!" Sasuke shouted, running after them.
" Because they are just grieving-"
"Fucking bullshit. They are just ignorant and idiots." Mikoto spat as if it was leaving a sour taste in her mouth. Naruto sighed, she can easily get to Mikoto but that would be unfair to the female head of the Uchiha clan. "But still! There is no need to hurt them Mikoto-san." Naruto called out, the other Uchihas have come out to investigate what all the commotion is about and they watched as the three of them zoomed past, yelling at each other. "Call me mum and I will stop running!" Mikoto said cheekily.
"What are you guys doing?" Itachi asked, jogging beside them with his dad. Fugaku and Itachi had just got back from the Uchiha police force headquarters when they saw Naruto's bright yellow hair in the distance chasing after someone. "Tell Naruto that if she calls me mum I will stop running!" Mikoto said, grinning at Fugaku.
Itachi looked back at Naruto, knowing she could run for ages and not get tired. "You do remember that Naruto could outrun any of us right?" Itachi questioned. Mikoto looked at him like he just said the dumbest thing. "Of course I do! That's why you have to convince her to call me mum and Fugaku dad before I end up in the hospital for this! Since Naruto is going to be daughter in law soon anyway, why not start training her now?" Mikoto said, turning back to see both Naruto and Sasuke turning red. She grinned at them, Naruto looks happy. That's good.