San Diego

The whole plane ride was pretty boring for me, but since I had plenty of things on my mind...it kept me occupied.

Me and my family were staying at Enzo's new home while Seth decided to stay at a hotel just 30 minutes away despite our efforts to convince him to stay with us.

Right now, I was leaning against the railing in the balcony, lost in thought.

I swallowed hard once I recalled my conversation with Tony a few days ago.

-Flashback-

He basically poured his heart out to me, and it made me feel terrible but I had to.

I couldn't promise him something when I know that I won't be able to fulfil it.

"Tony...I've got my mind made up this time. We're not right for each other, and this relationship is anything but healthy. I don't want to hurt you Tone....but I also can't make you a promise then break it. There is a ninety percent chance that I'll move. We won't be able to work Tone even if we tried."

He stayed silent not uttering another word.

"And I don't think I can be just friends with you because...you gave me too much to remember. You gave me the type of relationship I always craved for...so I don't think that I'll be able to look at you as a friend anymore." I shrugged, trying my best to lay it out for him.

"But I also can't go back to you because...I think I deserve better. I think I deserve for once...someone who loves me for me...someone who thinks I am enough for him."

"You are. You are more than enough for me."

"Then why did you feel the need to kiss her?" I finally asked.

He just shook his head rapidly muttering plenty of 'I don't knows'.

"We can't work. Not even as friends." I exhaled loudly before picking up my phone from the table.

He wasn't even staring at me. He wasn't even looking in my direction.

He was just simply biting his lip, and showing no emotion.

"Are you okay?" Grabbing both his hands in mine, I shot him a small forced smile.

Sliding his fingers against my hand, he grabbed it, and slowly pulled it to his mouth, giving it tiny pecks while showing me the most heart-breaking smile.

"I've never been less okay in my life."

"Tony..."

"No! You can't just pretend to understand because you don't." He raised his eyebrows and stood to his feet.

"You can't just pretend to understand how it feels to finally open up to someone, and watch them shut you down. Because for the first time in my entire life...I finally felt connected to someone. I finally felt loved. You don't know how it feels to tell the first person you have ever loved...that you love them, and not hear them say it back." He panted after finishing.

He turned his face away from me for a second, and brought it back.

"Tony...I don't want to hurt you, and I nev-"

"Maybe you already did hurt me." Scoffing, he walked out of the room, leaving me with trembling lips and an aching heart.

-End of Flashback-

Flinching from the harsh memory, I inhaled deeply, and stared at the beautiful stars, illuminating the beautiful city.

"You look sad." Leaning on the door, Lorenzo raised an eyebrow, probably awaiting a reason for my sadness.

"I'm miserable." I corrected, and he frowned.

"Tony?" He asked, and I nodded, not really surprised that he read me like a book.

"You should have seen the look on his face, Enzo. The way he just smiled in hurt...it was heart-breakingly painful." I shook my head, trying to block away his sad face.

"It was like he was used to people letting him down that he just feels numb." Turning around, I inhaled deeply as my eyes swam with tears.

"He let you down, Val. Not the other way around." He corrected, pointing his index finger at me.

"I know...but a part of me still thinks that I let him down too." Shrugging slightly, I turned around and stared at the stars once more.

"You love him." He stated and I almost chocked on my own saliva.

"W-What?" I stuttered and he smirked.

"You love him." He repeated it so casually, and I gulped.

"I don't know...I mean...I-"

"Well, you do. You're just not noticing it yet." He shrugged with a simple smile.

"And by the looks of it Vee...he loves you too."

****

             -The Next Day-

Grinning from ear to ear, I watched my niece jump around the supermarket, putting useless stuff in the trolley.  

"Auntie Vallie, look!" She squealed in excitement when she saw an Avengers poster on one of the stands.

"Yeah..look at them." I patted her back, and tried to speak with excitement.

"Look! Look!" The 5 year old pointed at the small toys, and I smiled picking a Captain America toy.

"That's Captain America, he likes blue!" She gave me a toothy grin before picking up a small Iron Man toy.

Judging by the colours, it was definitely Mark 2.

"That's Iron Man! Everyone loves Iron Man!" Picking the toy from my hands, she threw it right at me, ordering me to get it.

I laughed, and nodded.

"Hey Charlotte? Why don't you go find daddy while I go pick up some milk?" Nodding eagerly, she sprinted in a random direction, looking for Enzo.

Making my way to the milk, I tried picking a jar of Nutella on my way, but another hand was on mine, and when I looked up. My heart stopped.

You know that moment when you realise that all you have ever believed was a lie?

That moment when the truth ceases to exist?

That moment when you realise that you are stuck with a bunch of lying bastards?

Well, I was right in the centre of that moment, unable to comprehend, unable to believe that he was right there.

Standing in front me. He was standing in front of me, with a look of shock that probably mirrored mine.