21) Sensations & Arrangements

Here we are again. A ball full of the same people doing the same things. Meg held into me so I could not sit in a corner, today. Instead, I am standing with her while she is gossiping with some women. Dancing has not started, yet. I was told that it will start with the bride and the groom. I looked around me to find them standing with his arm around her waist talking to some people and laughing. I looked a little to my left to find Edward talking to someone then, he looked at me.

When our eyes met, I froze for a second then gave him a small friendship smile.

He returned it and did the worst thing that he could ever do. He bowed to the other gentleman and came towards us.

I shouldn't have smiled. Why did I smile?

"Excuse me, Aunt Meg," he said smiling to Meg and the rest of the group after giving me another look that made a shiver run down my spine and butterflies dance in my stomach, "may I take Amelia from you for a moment?"

Meg gave him one of her widest smiles, "of course"

You little shrew.

He gave me his arm and we walked away.

"I saw you suffering there so, I thought that I should rescue you," he said once we were away from their hearing range.

"You did not have to," I said looking around, "they did not notice me so; I just stood there looking around like I am doing, right now"

I know that what I said was a bit cruel but I had to drive him away. His words, his actions they all imply to one thing... One thing that I want and need so much but can never do.

"Amy!"

We looked behind us to find Bernard and Daphne.

"There is our married couple," I said with a smile, "so, how is life as a husband, Berny?"

"Too early for that question, don't you think?" He said with a smile, his arm was still around Daphne's waist.

"Well, you know me; I do not like to waste my time"

They all laughed.

"You are next, Amy," Daphne said with a wink.

"Then, you will be waiting for a very long time," I said with a wide smile.

"Come on, Amy," Bernard said grumbly, "until when..."

"Forever and ever because I am not thinking about marriage at all," I said trying to end the conversation and most importantly, trying to send a clear message to Edward.

"Even if Dr Reeve came back," Daphne asked mischievously.

I felt Edward tensing beside me with every word and once she mentioned Charles, I could actually hear his teeth clenching.

I smiled, "for me, Dr Reeve is just like Bernard, I think that I used the... Similarity and familiarity between us to enjoy my time and forget some things"

"I still think that you should keep an open mind to the idea of marriage"

"I think Meg wants you two," I said when I found her pointing towards us. She has finally done something to my favour, tonight.

"That must be about the dancing," Daphne said hopping with excitement.

"Excuse us, then," Bernard said looking dreamingly at his wife then, they left.

"They are so beautiful together," Edward said looking at them dreamingly.

"True that," I said then, I willingly looked at him and of course, he looked at me as well.