TWENTY - SEVEN

[ TIME ]

"WHY IS THE FORCE CONNECTING US?"

halo found herself asking the very same question kylo ren had asked the first time their bond was established. they had connected only when one of them was at their loneliest, when one was afraid or uncertain. it seemed strange to halo that this would come about now, after knowing him for so many years. she could make no sense of it. of why she could see him and he could see her, and she could feel him. his every thought and emotion. everything. she had never seen anything like it.

"i'm not doing it," he spoke softly, his hair blowing gently in the cool breeze. they sat together on the edge of a cliff, far from where rey or luke could find her, though luke wasn't actively seeking her out at the moment. but halo couldn't risk it nevertheless. no one could know about this.

"neither am i," halo murmured, staring at her fingers uncomfortably, "the effort would kill us."

there was a moment of strained silence. halo pressed her hand firmly against her abdomen, feeling the tendrils of venomous pain seeping into her belly. it flared every so often, as if reminding her of who the man she was sitting next to really was.

kylo ren's eyes followed her wince down to where her pallid palm was pressed flatly against her stomach. a distant emotion flickered across his face.

"i want to see it."

halo was startled by his words, by the even tone of his voice as he stared at her with a burning fire beneath his eyes. a small part of her wanted to say no. but she found that her tongue was useless in that moment. she couldn't find the will in herself to protest.

she only watched as he came closer to her, the scar on his face drawing his eye down at the corner.

his fingers were hesitant as they crept into the open air. his hands were strong, that much had remained the same. halo remembered marveling at their unwavering sureness when she was young, at how deftly he could maneuver a lightsaber with them.

but now, things had changed. they shook gently as they drew up the bottom of her shirt, and came to a frigid halt as the tan fabric above her flesh was drawn up far enough for him to see.

lining the silvery skin of her stomach was a vicious scar, raised and angry, trailing from the side of her left hip to the middle of her rib cage.

halo watched with bated breath as he let go of the end of her shirt. it was as if he was not breathing. he was so still that, if she was far enough away, she could have mistaken him for a dead man. his lips pressed together so firmly that they turned pale, and something lingered in the deepest corners of his gaze... something halo couldn't quite see, but knew was there.