CHAPTER THIRTY FOUR

Chapter 34

- Ace King -

Mom looked at me as if I was crazy. She placed the tray on the table and sat on the chair so she was about the same height as me.

"Ace, you can't have her," Mom said, offering me a small smile.

I frowned. "Why not? You said I can have anything I wanted!"

"Yes, I did," she responded. "But you can't have a person."

I crossed my arms and huffed in annoyance. Mom said I can have anything I want. So why can't I have that pretty girl? It's not like I'm going to do anything bad to her.

An idea popped into my head and I smiled. Mom looked at me suspiciously when she noticed my mood change.

"Can I be friends with her?"

She looked a bit hesitant and looked at the girl I pointed to before looking back at me. "I guess there's no harm in that."

Grinning, I walked over to the girl who was currently reading the book she held in her hands. She looked younger than me and very innocent.

Luckily, the people who were eating at the table beside them left, so Mom and I sat there instead. I took the seat closest to the girl, and once I did, I lightly tapped her shoulder.

She looked up from the pages until her eyes landed on me.

She has pretty eyes too.

"Hello," I smiled. "I'm Ace."

She stared at me, almost as if I was actually real. And I knew that because she poked me in the shoulder. It was weird, but I didn't care when I saw her smile.

"I'm Mia," she greeted back.

Mia. I love that name.

The sound of our names being said made us look at our parents. They were talking, and when we looked at them, Mia's parents smiled at me.

"What book are you reading?" I asked.

"A Bear Called Paddington," she answered. She started to ramble about the story, but I wasn't paying any attention really. All I could focus on was the happiness in her eyes.

I wanted to be the person who was the cause of her happiness. I don't know why, but I wanted to.

When we finished eating our food, I asked where Mia was going. She said that she and her parents were going to the library to borrow some books.

I didn't want to go home yet. I wanted to be with her longer. So I asked my mom if could come along. She was about to protest when Mia's parents said that it was okay.

"Mia doesn't have many friends," I heard Mia's Mom say. "Even in kindergarten, there are kids who bully her."

So that's why Mia poked me on the shoulder, and why she was so happy that I was talking to her. She didn't have friends. And I'm her first one. But I didn't like knowing that people bullied her.