Chapter 1

Almost ten, time for my shift at Coffee & Books. I finish the loose braid in my hair while I slip my feet in a pair of comfy flats. A quick look in the mirror shows no outfit errors and I race down the fire escape stairs on the back of the building. I live above my work, which comes in handy when you get lost in a book and forget the time.

On my way down I spot my co-worker Thomas, in the alley behind the coffee shop. He closes the lid of the container with a loud bang.
"Hello lovely!" he shouts when he spots me racing down the stairs. "No need to hurry, it's a quiet morning."

He holds the door for me and follows me in. In the back of the coffee shop is a narrow corridor with four doors: one to the alley, one to the kitchen, one to the little office slash storage room and one that gets you behind the counter of Coffee & Books. I reach around the corner of the little office to snag my apron from one of the hooks on the wall. It's black and shows the logo of my aunt's coffee shop Coffee & Books: a cup of coffee on top of a stack of books. Because that's what we are all about: a good cup of coffee and a nice book. Or tea, whatever you fancy. My favorite is Russian Earl Grey, along with one of my aunt's famous muffins. People from all over New York come here for a taste of her baked goods. I've been here three months now and if I wouldn't be on my feet so much for work, I bet I would have gained at least two pounds a week  because of all the delicious treats.

I tie my little apron behind my back and pin on my nametag. My aunt believes guests will feel more comfortable if they know your name, so we all wear tags. My cousin Lisa made them and I think they're very cute: a black cup and saucer with our name in a curly white font.
Thomas has made his way back to the kitchen and is helping my aunt prepare a fresh batch of muffins. My aunt Yvonne is a Jamaican woman with a personality as present and welcoming as her big bosom. I totally get why my uncle Lars fell head over heels for this woman over thirty years ago. She's the reason he left Norway and settled down in New York City. They are both hard working people: she runs the coffeeshop together with their daughter Lisa and he owns the bookstore next door. I love them to bits, they are like my second parents.

After I graduated from university - I studied Dutch language and literature - I worked a couple of jobs, but none of them really had my heart. Add some failed relationships and at 26 I was not really happy. My mother and stepfather wanted to travel Europe after my stepbrother took over the family trucking company, so when I had the chance to come to the United States, I didn't have to think hard on my decision. A chance to do something different, find out what I really want to do with my life. And with my aunt and uncle I found a loving home to do just that.

"Ylva dear, good morning! Would you mind taking these to the front?" my aunt greets me, motioning to two cakes on the kitchen counter.

"No problem. Although I can't guarantee they get there. They look mouthwatering, Yvonne!"

I get a big smile in return while I grab the tray with the cakes and make my way to the coffeeshop. My cousin is behind the counter, settling the bill with one of our regular customers. I put down the cakes, one is a chocolate cake with white chocolate frosting, the other a carrot cake with little marzipan carrots on top.

"Good morning, Lisa! And a good morning to you, Mrs. Willow."

Lisa nods in acknowledgment while giving back some change to the elderly lady in front of her. Mrs. Willow perks up when she sees me and immediately starts rattling like usual. "Hello dear! And a good morning to you too. I'd love to stay and chat, but I have an appointment at the veterinarian with Mr. Whiskers in half an hour. The little guy needs his shots."

"Ah, too bad Mrs. Willow! But I'm sure I'll see you soon again and then we'll catch up."

Jane Willow is one of our regulars, she lives in the small apartment building next door. Every morning she comes in for coffee and a chat. She's a lovely lady who misses her late husband very much. She doesn't have a lot of family in the area, so we make up for that. Ever since she learned that I'm from Holland, she loves to talk about her husband with me. He was in the army and in the early years of their marriage he was stationed in Germany for a while. His army camp was pretty close to the Dutch border, so he visited my country often. I can't count the times she's told me that already, but she's a sweet lady, so I'm happy to put up with her stories. She always sits on one of the barstools at the side of the counter, so she can talk to us while we are working.

I look around the little café. I love the way it looks: mismatched sofas and chairs, little tables and books everywhere. Through the glass wall on my right I spot my uncle Lars, in the bookstore. He sticks up his hand and I wave back. Originally the bookstore and the coffee shop where in two seperate buildings. But during the alien attack on New York, just over six years ago, this whole block got damaged pretty badly. Stark Tower is just around the corner, meaning the coffee shop was right in the middle of things. During the renovations the bookstore and the coffee shop were sort of merged together, separated only by a glass wall with a door in it. I love the combination of the bookstore and the coffee shop. Guests come in here for a drink and a read. And if they can't put the book down, they can purchase a copy of their own next door. Or they buy a book from my uncle first and come in for a cup of coffee while they read their new book.

Lots of people left this part of town after the alien invasion, but my aunt and uncle stayed. They were shocked by all what happened, but didn't want to leave their home and lives. I remember seeing the footage on the news at home, in Holland. I couldn't believe my eyes: aliens pouring out of a hole in the sky! A man in a red and yellow suit flying around, a supersoldier with a shield and even a friggin' Norse god wielding a hammer. The world has never been the same, we are certainly not alone in the universe. And even on earth there are people and things I have a hard time believing are real.

Now, several years later, things are pretty much back to normal. Life goes on, as it always does. The aliens have only been back once, something that had to do with the alignment of planets. It caused a mess, but not as big as the first time. Not that we, the general public, know of anyway. Every now and then the Avengers show up in the news feeds, I guess they're kind of like an anti-terrorism unit, there's just bits and pieces about them in the news. Thomas says he has served Captain America, the supersoldier, some coffee once. He claims the Captain was a big fan of the muffins too. Now every time he talks about it or the Captain is on the news, the boy gets puppy dog eyes.

Time flies when you're having fun and before I know it the clock hits four. I really love my job, the coffee shop is a wonderful place to work. It has tea, books and cake. What else can a girl want? Well, a little love maybe. And I had that, or so I thought. But two weeks ago that all came crashing down. I shake my head, not wanting to think about it anymore.
But life can be cruel and when the bell at the door jingles my heart sinks in my chest. In comes Chad Meyer, six feet of handsome. I'm behind the counter with Lisa, who looks up to the door when she sees my face.

"What is he doing here?!" she mutters under her breath, while Chad makes his way over to us.

"Your guess is as good as mine."
I really don't want this now. I wasn't sure who it was I was more mad at, Chad for cheating on me, or myself for being so naive. I spent two days in bed, feeling like shit, until Thomas took me out clubbing. The hangover was hideous, but it helped to stop feeling sorry for myself.
Nevertheless, that did not mean I wanted to be confronted with my ex. Lisa knew about the whole story, being my roommate and closest friend here in New York.

I don't know whether he pretends not to notice the cold reception, or that he really doesn't feel he isn't welcome, but he gives us his most charming smile when he stops in front of us.
"Afternoon, ladies!" Chad says, placing his hands on the counter. "Ylva, good to see you. How are you?"

I shrug, not really feeling the need to answer. Lisa picks up for me. "What can we do for you, Chad?"

"I came for one of your mother's famous muffins," he laughs. "And to see at what time Ylva's shift ended."

I suck in a breath and stare at my ex-boyfriend. Did he really think I would want to spend time with him again? Just looking at him makes my stomach turn to knots.
I'd met him at the photography course I took when I just came to New York City. I wanted to meet new people and it worked: I met Chad. We were dating for almost two months, when I saw him one evening in the park, kissing another girl. I confronted him and he just spilled his guts. It turned out he also had used the course to meet new people. Several new people. I felt so betrayed! And I was mad at myself for falling so blindly - and so fast - for a guy. I felt like a little country girl, which maybe I just am. Literally. A girl from a small European country, all by herself in one of the world's biggest cities.

"Chad, I..." I start saying when Thomas suddenly pops up next to me, with a box of muffins in his hand.

"Delivery for the Avengers",  he says. "Can you take it, Ylva?"