XIV

Dylan

Sitting beside Alex while he drove felt more pressurised than usual. It wasn't a bad kind of pressure between us, don't get me wrong. Things just felt different between us and I wasn't quite sure what the atmosphere was.

I knew I would have to ask Kai about it later.

My hand was playing with Alex's free hand whenever he wasn't changing gears and he had a grin plastered on his face that was so wide I think his cheeks must be hurting. Every time he glanced over at me I bopped my head and looked down at my hands. I wasn't sure what to say or do.

I had never really kissed somebody before is what I had realised. I had pecked somebody, sure, but never had I been kissed like that before. I liked it.

I could tell that Alex had been exercising a lot of self control and I appreciated it, but I also didn't. I was torn between wanting that also, but I also felt hyper-aware of the fact that we were not yet dating. At least, I didn't think that we were. 

We had been on dates, sure, but I was under the impression that it had to be some kind of verbal agreement to actually start dating. I wasn't sure how long that usually took, however, so I was just going along with it for now. I definitely needed a conversation with Kai later, though.

We pulled up to a gated car park on the beachfront. Alex insisted on getting my door again, despite it being an inefficient use of time. I followed behind him, holding onto his hand, as he led us to the gym where we would meet Michael. 

We entered and the bright, fluorescent lights hit me like a truck. I blinked away my agitation, feeling a headache come on almost instantly. I hate these kinds of hospital lights; bright, overhead, white lights.

So focused on the lights, I didn't register at first that an extremely well-built man was talking to me. 

"Who is this, then?" The man spoke, gesturing to me but speaking to Alex.

"This is Dylan. He's here to keep me company." 

"That's a first. Well, it's nice to meet you Dylan; my name is Michael." 

"Dylan asked that I pass on his compliments of your work." Alex could barely get the words out through his shit-eating grin.

My eyes widened and I felt my cheeks burn hot with embarrassment. I wanted to fade into non-existence and wished I'd turn invisible. Michael seemed amused by the comment, raising an eyebrow.

"Is that so?" Michael barked  a laugh, "I take it that's why we missed this morning's appointment?"

"No, that's my bad. I was shopping." Alex made excuses. 

Michael tutted in disapproval but chucked a towel at Alex, gesturing for him to go to the changing rooms. He turned to wink at me before heading off, leaving me alone with Michael. I found a chair near the workout station Michael had set up and took a seat, taking out my phone to tap and pass the time. 

"Where is he? Did he show up?" A man in a suit appeared, "I swear if the fucker skipped I'll drag him here myself."

It was then that he spotted me sat there, cross legged in my chair. I smiled meekly at him and gave a little wave. I think it was safe to assume that this was Jake. He definitely suited what Alex had told me about him so far. From the pristine suit to the overgrown stubble and his phone glued to his hand, still texting even now.

"Jake? It's nice to meet you." I decided to introduce myself, since this was Alex's best friend.

"You must be Dylan. I've had the pleasure of looking at nothing but your face in the tabloids the last few days." Jake was joking, but the both of us found it more concerning than amusing.