32. Mistaken

"Woah, I'm actually more nervous than I thought I'd be... I mean it's not exactly my first date, but probably my first date since an eternity. And I don't know, it feels strange..." Aurora mumbles while she is waiting for Matt to pick her up. Her blue eyes are attached to the photo of her and her mother. "I wish you were here to give me some advice."

She's been wandering around her house for ten minutes now, trying to figure out what to do on a date. It sounds so mundane that it's almost too easy and exactly this makes it difficult again. Dorothy Reyes would have known what to do as Aurora remembers that she was a fierce, strong and independent woman. Aurora's mother was her role model, a person she always looked up to.

Walking to the big mirror in the corridor, Aurora looks at herself to check if everything's okay. The auburn-haired girl just wears a pair of tight black trousers with a blue off-the-shoulders top. Aurora had tried a green dress but this felt so wrong that she immediately changed, not being a big fan of dresses.

"I mean, Matt is a decent and fun guy. There's no reason why it should not work out." Aurora assures herself, trying to convince her messy mind to stop hesitating.

Even Happy wasn't overly fond of the idea for some reason, she doesn't know why though. The bell of the door interrupts her thoughts and Aurora quickly puts on her shoes before opening the door. As expected, Matt stands on the porch with a rose in his hand, dressed in a button-down shirt with a big smile on his face.

"Oh, hi." She quips in surprise at the flower, her stomach twisting. Obviously, he couldn't know that Aurora doesn't like roses and prefers wild flowers.

"Hey." Matt grins and glances at her intensely. "You look beautiful."

Wrong. It feels wrong. But I can't just cancel it now. Aurora half forces a smile and steps out of the house. Maybe I can just pretend it's a normal hangout with a friend? "Thanks, also, thanks for the rose."

"You're welcome." He offers Aurora his arm to link in. "Ready?"

***

"Woah, this really looks fancy here." The auburn-haired girl looks with widened eyes around, she had never expected to be in such a restaurant, especially not in this little town. Matt behaves like a gentleman, pulling out the chair to offer her the seat and she responds with a playful bow and a small giggle before taking the offer.

"Only the best for you." He shrugs with a grin and sits down himself, the candle light highlighting his features. Their table is right next to the window and the view outside may be only the simple, little town but also the beautiful night sky.

"Ha! Ha ha ha." Aurora laughs awkwardly and could sink into the ground. Woah, no pressure at all. Gosh, this was embarrassing. Grabbing the menu card, her eyes skim through the meals quickly, almost hiding her face behind it.

Her date just chuckles, "Your laugh is cute."

"Really?" She sinks her menu card and lifts a brow in the air. "I think I seriously sound completely ridiculous when I laugh. Almost like Santa or something but not in the Christmas-ish way, more the shady way."

Matt's laughter increases at her description and a little smile appears on her lips, the easement growing on her. If there's something she really loves then it is to make people laugh. Laughing is the most attractive thing someone can do. Maybe it's not as bad as I expected, she thinks and takes a look at the menu. Soon, a waiter walks to their table to take their order.

"I'd like to have lasagna." Aurora orders with excitement, looking forward to the food.

"I'll take whatever she takes." Matt smiles at her when he's stating his order. Silently, the waiter leaves them alone and the blonde leans forward. "So, tell me why the heck a genius like you is still living in a small town like this."