━ 𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘅𝘅𝗶𝘃

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█chapter twenty-four: an awakening█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
chapter twenty-four: an awakening
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

     SPARKS ILLUMINATE THE SKY as Poe watches from the cockpit of his ship while another X-wing bursts into flames, dropping from the sky like a deadweight before smashing onto the ground

     SPARKS ILLUMINATE THE SKY as Poe watches from the cockpit of his ship while another X-wing bursts into flames, dropping from the sky like a deadweight before smashing onto the ground. There's no time for him to even think about who it might have been before three TIE fighters come racing after him. In a desperate maneuver, he forces his ship down into a dive, rolling in a full 360-degree rotation before pulling up sharply. The sun has vanished entirely, engulfing the world outside in complete darkness. He knows what it means; they're out of time.

     "We just lost R-1!" Karé shouts over the comm link and Poe grimaces. That had been the ship he'd seen spiraling.

     "We're overwhelmed," Jess adds. "What do we do? It isn't working!"

     Poe inhales deeply, trying to think of some way to salvage the mission. There would be no forfeiting from this fight; they would either blow this base to hell or they would all die trying. Too much was riding on their mission to surrender. He scans the ground below, narrowing his gaze when he sees smoke and flames rising from one side of the oscillator that most definitely hadn't been there previously.

     "Black Leader, there's a brand new hole in that oscillator," Snap reports, confirming that he, too, had seen what Poe saw. "Looks like our friends got in."

     Poe can't help the small flicker of a smile that crosses his face at that; another confirmation that, for the time being, Indira and the rest of the party on the ground were still alive and kicking. Whatever they'd done to damage the oscillator had created an opening — one that would hopefully allow for their torpedoes to finally make contact with the center of it.

     "Red Four, Red Six," Poe calls out, steering his ship down towards the base once more after scoping out the skies below. "Cover us!

     "I'm on it!" Lieutenant Bastian replies, jetting after Poe to flank his left side.

     Another X-wing comes up on Poe's right, guarding him from that side. "Roger!" Ello Atsy confirms, picking up speed to stay steady with Black One.