O N E

Breaking Brielle

Chapter One

Not Edited

~ Brielle Clark's POV ~

Have you ever felt like you were in one of those Hallmark movies?

Well, that's how I felt right now. Dancing around my new room at my Aunt's house, to Simple Plan while getting ready for my first day of school.

Most kids would hate moving away from home a month into their senior year of high school but i'm excited. I've always wanted to move to Eastview. It was your typical small town. Everyone knew everyone here.

Before my mom died, she would tell me stories about her time here. All of the football games, all of the Sweetheart dances, homecomings etc.

I spent everyone summer here with her sister Miriam up until her diagnosis when I was 16. I'm 18 now and she only died 6 months ago so I decided that it would be better for me to live here than in Chicago (where I grew up.)

"Are you ready to start school together for the first time ever?" Faye asked as she walked into my new room.

Faye Clark. My cousin and best friend of all time. My family didn't move to Chicago until I was 3 so for the first 3 years of my life, Faye and I were inseparable. When I moved and was old enough to use a phone, we would talk on the phone everyday and every night. We would talk about anything and everything.

We were polar opposites but still best friends nonetheless. She had beautiful red hair like our grandmother, I had almost platinum blonde hair like our grandfather. She had blue eyes, I had green eyes. She listened to pop music, I listened to punk rock. I loved serial killer documentaries, she loved romcoms. She was a pessimist, I was an optimist.

We were quite the pair.

"Totally ready" I grinned.

"Then let's go" She grabbed my hand.

The drive to Eastview high was short, 20 minutes with a stop for Dunkin Donuts. When Faye pulled into the parking lot, it looked like a typical small town high school right out of a movie. Groups of kids standing together by their cars. It was obvious that their was a 'clique' system. Jocks & Cheerleaders standing together by relatively expensive cars. Band kids and 'nerdier' kids standing by the front doors. Punk kids standing by beat up cars and preppy kids standing by average looking cars.

"Wow" I said as we climbed out of her car.

"Everyone pretty much sticks to their own group" Faye says.

"Please tell me this isn't going to be just like Mean Girls" I cringed.

"No, don't worry" She laughed. "Everyone is pretty nice. No rivalries just... separation. It's not bad"

"Okay" I nod.

My eyes wondered the crowds. It seemed a bit... cliche but what did I expect from a small town high school? Jocks were mostly buff guys in varsity jackets, cheerleaders were mostly blonde haired, blue eyed girls (hopefully they don't want me to join  them.) The preppy kids were dressed in the schools optional uniform and looked like they were all group manufactured.

I saw the punk kids and I laughed silently to myself. They were all dressed in leather with colorful hair and piercings.

My eyes drifted over towards a kid that looked like he should be hanging out with the punk kids, but he was just leaning against a motorcycle by himself. He had jet black hair and dull blue eyes that were eyeing the jocks but everyone seemed to be ignoring him.