Chapter 13: The Eddas

I awoke with a sharp jerk, the sickening feeling of emptiness looming over me. I blinked a few times, clearing my vision and adjusting to the darkened cave. I untucked myself from the bundle of fur and stood up.

The once populated cave with sleeping and snoring warriors was nowhere to be seen.

My heart began beating faster as I frantically looked around to find absolutely no trace that we had ever been here besides my bedroll laid out on the ground.

"Fifteen?" I called out quietly. My voice echoed loudly across the vast area. There was no answer and I sprinted to the entrance of the cave, my boots pattering softly against the stone. I squinted as my eyes adjusted to the searing white sunlight.

Outside was the same mountainous terrain as it had been but stained with a deep crimson liquid. Blood. I took deep breaths trying to calm my nerves like they had taught me in my training. Blood and death was nothing new to me.

I made my way outside and into the small dip of the valley. Before me lay a battlefield.

Bodies lay limp, stained with scarlet red blood either from foe or friend, I did not know. I snapped my eyes about, searching for any signs of a threat fearing that whatever had caused this was near still.

Seeing nothing I darted down to the battlefield nimbly. Most bodies lay face down, spears and arrows buried deep into their flesh.

I came upon the first body and I lay my hand gently on the Burnett's shoulder, turning the matted and bloody haired person over.

I swallowed down whatever vile things had attempted to rise in my throat as I recognized the woman. She was one of the very few female soldiers to be sent on this mission with us. I had never spoken personally to her but I knew she was dearly loved by her comrades by the way the treated her as an equal.

She stared forward, no soft light in her eyes. I knew I had to move on, to look for more survivors, and so I did, leaving her body behind.

The sudden flicker of light hair caught my attention, causing me to spin on my heel. I paused, the putrid smell of death ceasing for a moment. Once again I saw the hair. It belonged to a girl. As I watched the process repeat itself I realized the girl was spotless and clean. Her white dress and pale skin seemed to glow in the dull light of the day. A sudden urge to follow her overwhelmed me and I sprinted to catch up with her. The mysterious girl disappeared over a small dip in the land and did not re-appear as she once had.

I tripped often on a limb or jagged rock as I made my way over to a more barren section where only a few bodies lay. I dropped to my knees heavily as I saw the familiar deep verdant green cape of the Prince, his golden, gleaming helmet laying beside him- scratched and broken.

"Oh gods," I said softly, my voice cracking horribly. Loki looked up at me, grimacing and hissing in pain. A breath of relief rushed out of me as I took his hand which was reaching towards me.

"What happened here?" I asked quickly. Loki coughed roughly and I looked down to see that my dagger, which had just been resting on my hip, was buried in his armor. Warm blood seeped from the nasty wound and I nearly choked.

His pale hand did not reach mine, instead, it had snaked its way around my neck until it was clutched heavily in his hand.

"W-What?" I heaved, attempting to claw his hand away from my neck. His grip was tightening harshly, making it harder to breathe every second. I looked at his once cunning yet curious green eyes to see burning hatred and anger. For once in my life, I was truly afraid of him- afraid for my life.

"You. You happened," He hissed, not releasing his deathly grip. My eyes began to water and my head started to throb. Loki sat up with more determination this time, his wounds seeming to fade.