Phantom Traveler

It had been almost two weeks since Lost Creek. I still had the army man Lucas gave me, I kept it in my bag in the trunk. I'd managed to finish the Harry Potter book Dean had gotten me, I wanted the next one. We were in a motel somewhere in Ohio, Dean had decided to pull into a motel last night. I was curled up next to Dean, he had barely let me out of his sight the last two weeks. I'd gone to sleep a little after ten, but Sam and Dean had stayed up.

I woke up when I heard the door close, it had woken up Dean too if his reaching under the pillow was anything to go off of. "Morning sunshine," I heard from Sam after Dean had turned to face him. I sat up and rubbed my eye, Dean grabbed my sling from the nightstand. "What time is it?" Dean asked as he put the sling on me. "Oh it's about 5:45," Sam informed, making me groan. "In the morning?" Dean asked, "Where does the day go?" Dean added after Sam nodded. "Did you get any sleep last night?" Dean asked as he put an arm around me, looking at Sam. "Yeah, I grabbed a couple hours," Sam lied. "Liar," Dean called him out, putting me on the floor, "Go get dressed," he told me. "'Cause I was up at three, and you were watching the George Foreman infomercial," I heard Dean say before I closed the bathroom door. "Hey, what can I say it's riveting TV," I heard Sam reply as I grabbed my hairbrush and made an attempt to go through my hair with it. "When was the last time you got a good night's sleep?" Dean asked as I quickly gave up on my hair, deciding to get dressed and brush my teeth first. "A little while I guess, it's not a big deal," Sam told him, I rolled my eyes and continued to brush my teeth. "Yeah, it is," Dean sounded like Sam wasn't understanding something simple, which he wasn't. "I appreciate your concern-" Dean cut him off. "Oh, I'm not concerned. It's your job to keep my *ss alive, I need you sharp," Dean told him. "Seriously, are you still having nightmares about Jess?" Dean asked. I could hear Sam talking, but it was to quiet to make out, so I finished getting dressed and walked out of the bathroom, Dean was reaching for the knife Sam was holding. "That's not fear, that's precaution," Dean told him. "All right, whatever, I'm too tired to argue," I heard Sam say as I walked up to Dean with my hairbrush, he sighed, "You need to start sleeping with a braid or get a haircut Chris," Dean complained as he took the hairbrush from me. Sam was silently laughing at us as Dean started to brush my hair. Dean's phone started to ring not long after he started, so he nudged me over to Sam and grabbed the phone. Sam picked up the brush and started to brush my hair, I heard his muttered, "When was the last time you even brushed it?" as he ran it through my hair. "Yesterday," I told him as Dean answered the phone. "Hello?" it took a few seconds before he said anything else, "Oh, right, yeah, the up in Kittanning, Pennsylvania, the poltergeist thing. It's not back is it?" I didn't remember that. "What is it?" Dean asked he frowned and hung up the phone. "He wants us to go meet him, he works at an airport. Says he might have a case," Dean told Sam, who was putting my hair in a ponytail. Dean looked down at me, then back up at Sam with a raised eyebrow, "You're on hair duty now Sam," Dean told him as he grabbed his and my bag. Sam gave me a cup of hot chocolate and a jacket, "It's cold outside," he told me as he grabbed his own bag. I put one arm in the jacket and just draped it across my other side, I didn't feel like readjusting the sling. Less than five minutes later we were in the car and on the road once more.

We pulled up to the airport almost an hour and a half later, we weren't very far from it apparently. Sam carried me inside where we met someone, he wasn't familiar to me though, but he greeted Dean all the same and led us inside. "It's been a while since I saw this one, she was what, two when I last saw her?" he asked as we started inside. "Probably," Dean told him as we were met with the noise of welding and saws. "What happened to her arm?" he asked as he closed the door, "Wendigo a few weeks back," the guy frowned, "She gonna be okay?" I buried my face in Sam's neck. "She's tough, she'll be fine in a couple weeks," Dean told him stiffly, the guy seemed to get the hint and changed the subject. "I ought to be doing you guys a favor, not the other way around," the guy told us as he led us through a chaotic looking mechanic shop of airplane parts. "Dean and your dad really helped me out," the guy went on saying. "Yeah Dean told me, a poltergeist thing," Sam confirmed. Someone was eavesdropping apparently, "'Poltergeist'? I loved that movie," I heard someone say from behind some parts. Our guide looked annoyed, "Hey nobody's talking to you keep walking," before addressing us again, quieter, "D*mn right it was a poltergeist, practically tore our house apart. Tell you something, if it wasn't for you and your dad, I probably wouldn't be alive," he told us as he turned a corner to a quieter area. "Your dad said you were off in college is that right?" he asked as he walked past some stairs. "Yeah... I was, I'm just taking some time off," Sam said, a bit taken aback. "Well, he was real proud of you, I could tell, talked about you all the time," Jerry told him. Sam sounded confused, "He did?" Jerry nodded, "You bet he did. Oh, hey, I tried to get ahold of him, but I couldn't. How's he doing anyway?" Jerry asked, looking at Dean. "He's uh, wrapped up in a job right now," Dean told him. Jerry turned around, "Well, we're missing the old man. And we get Sam, even trade huh?" Jerry asked, walking backward. Dean laughed while Sam shook his head, "No, not by a long shot," he told him. "Anyway, I got something I want you guys to hear," Jerry told us as we walked into what I guessed was his office. He sat in his chair, Sam and Dean sat in the chairs in front of his desk while Sam was still holding me. "I listened to this and well, it sounded like it was up your alley," Jerry said as he put a disc into what looked like a DVD player. "Normally I wouldn't have access to this. It's the cockpit voice recorder for United Britannia Flight 2485, it was one of ours," Jerry told us as the recording started. "Mayday, mayday... 2485...help..." was all I could make out from the recording. That was before a loud, roar-like noise came over the recording, an explosion, then nothing. "Took off from here, crashed about two hundred miles south," Jerry told us. "Now they're saying mechanical failure, the cabin depressurized somehow. Nobody knows why, over a hundred people on board, only seven got out alive," Jerry's voice got quieter. "Pilot was one, his name's Chuck Lambert, he's a good friend of mine. Chuck is, uh... Well, he's pretty broken up about it, like it was his fault." Sam handed me off to Dean, "You don't think it was?" Sam asked, Jerry shook his head, "No, I don't." Sam leaned forward, "Jerry, we're gonna need passenger manifests, a list of survivors..." Sam counted off with his fingers. "Right, and anyway we can take a look at the wreckage?" Dean asked. "The other stuff is no problem, but the wreckage... Fellas at the NTSB has it locked down in an evidence warehouse. No way I've got that kinda clearance." Dean nodded his head, "No problem," he dismissed before he got up. "Now we need to get you to the nearest motel because you are so not going with us," Dean muttered as he picked me up.

"Okay, what're the rules again?" Dean questioned after he put me down on one of the beds. "Don't open the door unless it's you or Sam doing the secret knock, don't be loud, keep the privacy sign on the door, be asleep by ten, and call if something's wrong," I told him in an exasperated tone. Dean pat my head as Sam walked in with the bags, "Atta girl," Dean told me before he ruffled my hair. I swatted at him with my good arm, "Did you like the book Dean got you?" Sam asked as said book fell out of my bag and onto the floor. I nodded my head, "I finished it," I told him proudly. Sam looked at the width of the book before flipping through it, "That's a lot of words for a four-year-old," Sam told me. I shrugged, I had a lot of time on my hands. "'Book one'" Sam read from the spine, "You want the next one?" Sam asked, I nodded and looked at Dean, "Pleeaaaaase?" I begged, he exaggerated a sigh, "I guess I can get you the next book," I hugged him with my good arm, very pleased. Dean got up when I let him go, "Alright, alright, we gotta go and break into another facility," I nodded my head, "Okay," I told him before I climbed onto the bed to lay down for a bit. "Do you need more meds before we go?" Dean asked as he stood by the door, I shook my head. "We'll be back before or at dark, see you short stack," Dean told me before he walked out, Sam was already waiting in the car. I laid on the bed for a couple hours before I moved to the couch to watch Teen Titans, or I was going to watch Teen Titans... I couldn't find the channel, I settled on Animal Planet instead, some guy called Steve Irwin was on. I liked his accent.

I was asleep when the boys came back, I woke up when I was being moved, "Mmmm," was the only noise I made, Dean shushed me and put me in one of the beds, "Go back to sleep Chris," he told me quietly, I did as he told me.

I woke up the next morning when Sam came back in the room with coffee. I sat up and looked around, my collarbone throbbed again. Dean was already handing me a cup of water and my medicine before walking back to the wall, which was now covered in pictures of an airplane and different versions of a monster. Sam sat in a chair and opened his laptop, starting to type. "Okay, so every culture has the concept of demons and demonic possession, right?" Sam asked, I didn't even like the idea of demons. Never did. "I mean Christian, Native American, Hindu, you name it." Dean sat on the bed next to the one I was sitting in, "Yeah, but none of them describe anything like this," Dean was skimming through multiple books and papers, I got up and headed to the bathroom with my bag in hand. "Well that's not entirely true, according to Japanese beliefs, certain demons are behind certain disasters. Both natural and man-made. One causes earthquakes, another causes disease," I closed the door, causing the speech to become muffled. "And this one causes plane crashes?" Dean asked, "All right, so what? So we have a demon that's evolved with the times and found a way to ratchet up the body count?" I changed into my pajamas, I had a feeling I wouldn't be going anywhere. I pulled the ponytail out, there was no point in keeping it in because it had loosened, and then I brushed my teeth. When I exited the bathroom Dean was pulling on his jacket, "Stay here, we'll be back," he told me. I nodded my head and crawled on the couch, "There's food in the fridge if you get hungry," Dean reminded me before he closed the door. I grabbed Sylvester, who'd been left on the couch, and turned on the TV, going back to Animal Planet to watch more of Steve Irwin.

The phone that was in my room rang a few hours later. It rang three times before it stopped, I stood by it and waited. It ran again a few seconds later, I picked it up, "D?" I asked, perching on the side of the bed. "Hey Chris it's Sam, we're probably not going to be home by tonight the case just got really complicated." I frowned, "When are you going to be back?" I asked, messing with the cord. "Tomorrow night at most, it won't be long Chris don't worry. If we're gone longer, do you still remember Pastor Murphy's number?" I nodded my head, "Yeah," I heard Sam exhale a little heavily, "Be safe okay Chris? We'll see you tomorrow," I got off the bed, "Bye Sammy," I told him before I heard the line click off. I put the phone back on the receiver and wandered back to the couch. I hated when I got left somewhere. I grabbed Sylvester and watched more Animal Planet documentaries until I fell asleep.

True to their word they were back a couple hours after I woke up the next morning. I jumped off the couch and hugged the two's legs. "Didja miss us short stack?" Dean asked as he rubbed my back, I nodded my head. Sam was holding a bag, "Guess what Dean and I got you," Sam told me as he handed me the bag. I took what was in the bag out to look at it. It was a book, the title was 'Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets', it was noticeably thicker than the first book. I hugged the two's legs again, "Little nerd," Dean teased. "Anyway, you ready to get back on the road Chris?"