Chapter Three: Assigned

Tao sat on the bench in the park, admiring the scenery and feeling relaxed. He watched as kids walked home together from school, laughing and racing. He closed his eyes and just sat there, relaxing on his day off.

"The exams are coming up! Do you want to study together?"

"No, it's a waste of time."

Tao opened his eyes quickly when he heard this. His eyes went wide when he realized it was the same girl. Honestly, he wasn't that shocked.

The girl shrugged her shoulders, brushing it off.

"If you say so. I'm going to head home, bye Catie!"

Catie waved and kept walking by herself. Tao got up, and followed her from a distance. He kept thinking to himself while following.

'I'm getting assigned to her. She has to understand the importance of time.'

Before Catie reached her house, Tao ran up to her and grabbed her shoulder, turning her around to face him. Before she could scream, he covered her mouth.

"Shh, don't scream!"

She made muffled sounds through his hand, while looking scared and confused.

"It's alright, I'm here for a reason....I'm assigned to you."

Slowly, Tao removed his hand from her mouth, hoping she wouldn't scream. Catie stared at Tao, and finally spoke.

"Assigned? What the hell are you talking about?"

"Call me your guardian for time, I have to watch over you. That's what I mean by assigned."

Catie stared at Tao with a poker face, and started laughing. Shs opened the door to her house, and turned to Tao.

"Look, my guardian? You're funny, get away from me. Goodbye."

With that, she slammed the door in his face.

Tao laughed to himself, and walked away.

"You can't get rid of me, until you understand the value of time."