Chapter 31: Only Love Can Break Your Heart

"It's just well, you know, I'm not entirely sure why she's here," Sam murmurs.

"I'm not sure why I'm here either," I say.

Jody rolls her eyes. "I invited her along, Sam. Better company on the road. It's not a problem, is it?"

"Of course not," Kefilwe replies before Sam can. "You have Runner Five, and Sam has me. The more the merrier."

"But I'm happier on my own," Sam grumbles.

"Oh, you say that, but you were glad I was here yesterday when Runner Fifteen chocked on that granola bar and I had to talk Runner Two through the Heimlich maneuver."

"I would've remembered how to do it... eventually," He says, earning a giggle from me. "Alright, guys, go left at the red barn, and you might wanna hurry while you're going through that field. I mean, only if you don't want to get ran over by the huge bull at the end of it."

"I think that might be a cow rather than a bull," Kefilwe corrects.

"It's a joke."

"Oh... of course." She laughs, and I cringe at how obviously forced it is. "Silly me, always taking things so seriously. I should take a leaf out of your book. You have so much fun. That's why the runners like you so much, yes?"

"Um... yeah, I guess."

"I'm sure that's the reason why one runner in particular is so fond of you."

"What are you talking about?" He scoffs in confusion.

"So what're we doin' exactly?" I ask quickly, mentally kicking Kefilwe in the shin right now. Jody's doing her best not to laugh at my red face, but a few snickers happen to escape. "Y'all haven't told us much on what we're doin' today."

Sam snorts. "Y'all?"

"Yeah. It's short for 'you all'."

"Well, I know. It's just... you sound so funny when you say it."

I huff. "Thanks."

"T-that's not a bad thing. It's just a-just a... yeah. Sorry. What I meant was-"

"It's cute?" Jody guesses.

"Interesting. In a good way," He corrects. "And to answer your question, basically, right now, you're just killing time."

The blonde beside me frowns. "Great. That really sounds like something worth risking our lives for."

"It's gonna be awhile before we finish combing through the Comansys material Runner Five brought back and uh, checking out those rendezvous points. While that's going on, it's back to zombie killing business as usual. Yay, right?"

I raise my hands up with fake enthusiasm. "Yay!"

"That's the spirit. Anyway, Owen says he's found a nest by the big mansion at Bow Champton Pater. There's a New Canton outpost near there and he was worried they might attract the zoms. That's why he asked for you to come and help clear them out, Jody."

I nod. That makes sense to me, but Four doesn't seem so convinced. Her face slightly scrunches up, and her eyes are dull with annoyance.

"Yeah, right."

"You don't think the zoms might attack the settlement?" Kefilwe asks curiously, and Jody shakes her head.

"I don't think there's any zoms."

"Why would he say there were zombies if there weren't?" I question. "That wouldn't make much sense."

"If you haven't noticed, Five, Owen barely ever makes sense. Come on. Race ya to the pylon."