Look for me when I'm gone

He knew the time is coming and he had prepared himself for it, but no amount of preparation could ever get him ready for the time when his beloved Ling Ling will no longer be by his side.

He went to bed sad that evening, loneliness gripped him. It was July 1, 1999 and Ling Ling's human birthday is only two days away.

He hugged Ling Ling, arms coiled around tightly like a chain around her refusing to let go. He knew this could be his final night with her and there's no telling when fate will bring them back together.

Soft lips brushed over his lips, Ling Ling kissed him softly as lovingly as she can. Junjie returned her kiss overcome with so much grief.

"For goodness sakes, Junjie. You act like I'm dying." Ling Ling forced her smile.

To Junjie, it felt like she is.

"Forgive me, Ling Ling. But I grieve for my wife."

"Do not be scared," Ling Ling pressed her lips upon his again. "Because I'm not. I know we are going to be together again no matter what."

"But how am I supposed to find you when you're gone? You can't remember anything from your human life."

"Search for the most dashing bride you'll ever see. I will be dressed as the most beautiful bride for you." She smiled and closed her eyes. Tiredness coaxed her stronger than anything tonight.

Ling Ling felt tired in her flesh, in her bones and in her soul.

She began to feel that tug again, and this time, it had been strong. The strongest she had ever felt it and there was no refusing it. It wasn't like one of those warning tugs that she constantly felt in the last year. This time, it was the kind of tug what will yank her away permanently.

She felt it, she felt it in in every part of body. She began to melt away, fading and dissolving until she was nothing but a speck of soul traveling through light, taken away from her borrowed time and shoved into a shell. A rebirth of new life.

Ling Ling disappeared from Junjie's embrace.

One moment, she was inside his arms, the next, she was gone leaving only the bracelet he had given her. A symbol of their love for each other. Junjie tried to hold on to her but there was nothing he could do, he fought the natural order of things and lost.

Not even his power as a prince was enough to keep Ling Ling by his side. All his effort, all the time wasted amounted to nothing. He couldn't prevent Ling Ling from leaving him.

Ling Ling was gone.

Junjie grabbed the bracelet into his hand, the beads are still warm from Ling Ling wearing it, but the color and life that soaked inside it was slowly fading.

Junjie noticed the last couple months the bracelet had been at constant hue of blue. A reflection Ling Ling's mood the entire time.

She tried pretending to be happy and hid her sadness from Junjie but her bracelet nor her eyes never lied to him. Junjie knew she was sad. She didn't want to disappear as much as he didn't want her to.

For Ling Ling there's no certainty, she doesn't know the kind of life waiting for her, nothing was set in stone and she's afraid of not knowing her future.

Look for me when I'm gone, Junjie. Don't ever forget me. 

Worry not, Ling Ling. I will send the entire kingdom in search for my missing wife.

Junjie wasted no time rushing out to his throne room, gathering all his emissaries, sentries and anyone he could employ. It was the middle of the night, but his announcement weight with the most importance.

The prince of the spirit world gathered his people in the throne room to announce he wanted every human girl born on July 3, 1999, surveyed, watched, and assigned each personal spirit guide no matter who they are or where they came from.