Chapter 1: The Great Cake Robbery

Author's note: Thank you so much for choosing to read Cupcake Kisses! I hope you enjoy it :)

ALSO, SOUTHPORT IS A COMPLETELY MADE UP TOWN. AS IN IT COMES FROM MY IMAGINATION AND AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS NO REAL TOWN IN CALIFORNIA CALLED SOUTHPORT (IF THERE IS THEN THAT IS COMPLETELY COINCIDENTAL)

********************

Chapter 1: The Great Cake Robbery

Pushing my glasses back up my nose, I looked up from my book and glanced around the empty bakery. I was sat perched on the edge of a stool, behind the counter, 'working' my usual evening shift.

Cupcake Kisses, the bakery was called. It was pretty well known in our small town, but then again in a small town like this I guess you could say that about everything. Southport was like every other beach town you've ever seen in the movies. Located right on the coast, practically overflowing with small, pastel colored, family owned shops and old people. Lots and lots of old people. Plenty of sun too, as well as a picture perfect white sand beach.

"Ella!" Jess, my co-worker, called from the back. "What time is it?"

I glanced at the cupcake shaped clock on the wall in front of me. "Almost seven!" I shouted back.

Mrs. Edwards, the owner of the bakery, had left over an hour ago instructing us to lock up. We were meant to close up at seven, but after six it was always deserted so it wasn't unusual for us to close a few minutes early. Other than Mrs. Edwards, we were the only two workers and she regularly left us in charge, unbeknownst to the early closures.

The bakery itself was nice, in a cute girly kind of way. The walls were all painted pastel pink and covered in photos of perfectly decorated cakes. It was big enough to fit in a few tables and booths too, where the customers would sit and chat as they enjoyed coffee and cakes. The front of the shop was my favourite, it was made completely of glass, constantly streaming in sunlight.

"I cannot wait to be home," Jess said, sighing as she emerged from the back of the shop where we baked the cakes. Her apron was, unfortunately, also pastel pink and splattered in icing sugar and flour.

Jess was two years older than me and worked here while she attended the community college. During the school year she would work in the morning, Mrs. Edwards would take over for the afternoon and I would be here after school. But since it was summer vacation, the last day to be exact, we were both here together.

Jess made her way over to me and I immediately noticed the bags under her eyes and frowned, "If you want, I can close up for us? You should really head home you've been here since opening." 

"Are you sure? It's only fifteen minutes, I don't mind staying!"

I nodded. "Exactly, only fifteen minutes. Doesn't matter if you leave early."

"Are you sure?" She asked again, still dubious.

"Yes! The sooner you leave the sooner I can dig into that icing in the fridge."

She chuckled. "It's for the customers, not for you, Ella."

"If I make it, I can eat it. Simple as," I shrugged. "Now hurry up and go."

She rolled her eyes, but thanked me anyway. "I appreciate it, kiddo."

Jess grabbed her stuff and rushed out the door, tossing a goodbye my way as she went.

The next fifteen minutes passed quickly and before I knew it I was putting my book down again to close up. With a tired sigh I slid off the stool, heading over to the front door and turning the sign so it read 'CLOSED' instead of 'OPEN' before beginning to put the displayed cakes away.