Freed

Stefan and the witches tried to keep me inside the house as long as possible. Yet, as soon as the sun set and they couldn't burn me with their magic, I escaped.

I felt partially guilty, I knew that something was different. I refused to believe that Stefan only woke me for his revenge on my brother. When we spoke, there was something different in his gaze; a certain familiar softness, mixed with a burdened pain that I knew all too well.

There was still hope for him, I knew it. Now however, he was hellbent on vengeance. He was trying to open the final coffin. Despite my suspicions, even I didn't know what was inside, or how to open it - much to Stefan's annoyance. He did seem to think Bonnie was onto something, however.

By the time I reached the boarding house, it was early evening. I walked in, only to bump straight into Damon and Alaric, who seemed equally shocked to see me.

Damon seemed to almost freeze up, his eyes wide as he took a moment to trust what he was seeing.
"Grace" he sighed in relief, hugging me. "You're here".
"And where else would I be?" I quipped, gripping onto him.
"Thank god your back" Alaric nodded, "I think you had him worried for a minute there" he smiled, leaning back against the wall.
"Worried? Me?" Damon scoffed, pulling back to face him as I squinted at him suspiciously, "Okay, yeah... maybe a little".
"A little?" Alaric snorted, "Yeah, right".
"Come on, Ric, I wasn't that bad" Damon drawled out casually, earning an eyeroll from his friend.

"Enough, you two" I laughed, before glancing at their formal outfits. "Although, I am curious as to where you're going?" I asked.
"The fundraiser thingy for the Wickery Bridge... Or to us, a founders council meeting" Damon replied with a grin. "Come along if you want, Red" he added teasingly.
"Do I really have to third wheel you two?" Alaric groaned, earning a smirk from Damon.
"Very funny Ric" I noted sarcastically, before looking down at my outfit. I was still wearing my homecoming dress. "Although, I don't think I'm quite in the right state to go to anything like that... I'll see you later though, yeah?" I smiled, noticing Damon's face drop. "Sure thing" he nodded. He hugged me again before leaving, kissing my forehead as he did so.

He would be lying if it didn't worry him every time we parted. How long would it be before we were ripped apart once more?

__________________________

After showering and changing again, I was starting to feel a bit better. I had shoved on an old t-shirt of Damon's and a pair of leggings, hoping for a relaxing night in, until an urgent knock at the door brought me back to reality.

I was humming to myself, absentmindedly, not expecting to find a distraught looking Tyler Lockwood on the doorstep.
"Tyler" I nodded, looking him up and down. "What's up?".
"I bit Caroline, Grace" he said in a panic, making my blood run cold. "Klaus told me to do it... I didn't even...".
"Shit" I mumbled, "Tyler?" I could hear his panicked breaths increasing as he paced back and forth, his fist connecting with the wall in anger. "Tyler? Calm down!" I shouted, pushing him backwards as I gripped onto his arms.

His eyes refocused, connecting with mine as the almost maddened panic faded from them. I wasn't going to lose anyone else to this. Not after Rose. "We'll go to Klaus together" I said gently, "I'll get him to heal her, okay? I promise".
"Okay... okay" he breathed, before following me to my car.

I could only hope that Klaus would be willing to help. He had to be.

____________________

We arrived at the mansion Klaus had claimed as his own relatively late. It was big. Ridiculously big. Far too decadent for just himself, surely. I stormed inside, Tyler almost reluctantly following with a determined look on his face.