CHAPTER 23

Lady Charlotte wobbled as fast as her tired legs could carry her.  She wrapped a thin material around her head to protect her from the stinging sun. She was very tired, but the thought of finding her daughter was her strength. Lifting the material that had cascaded from her head, she put it back in place.

She took another step, and her stomach rumbled. She was famished. After her encounter with those thieves, she'd lost most of her supplies, she hadn't thought much about it at first because she had been running for her life, but now she prayed to find anything  eatable.

As she stood in disarray, she heard the faint sound of drumming. Moving her tired feet, she was determined to find the source of the sound.

Climbing a steep, she saw what she had been looking for.
Ponti.
A lone tear escaped from her eye her daughter was somewhere down there. The feeling was indescribable.

Climbing down steadily, Charlotte lifted her dirty dress to ease her movements, and held on to the cloak which hid her form.
She  Approaching the main square, a young woman in a green gown visibly cringed, at her attire. Charlotte sent her a reassuring smile, but the woman picked up her little daughter and moved out of sight.

Smiling  thinly, she took another look at her dress which was barely intact. She looked like someone who had just fought her way out of the lion's den, She wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't stand her presence.

At the far right of the main square stood an older man. Charlotte had noticed his stare but did not pay any much attention, as he stole one more glance at her.  Charlotte moved towards his direction if anyone could help her, it should be him.

The old man picked up a necklace from a little table in which wares were displayed to catch the attention of buyers. He pretended to examine its beauty,  but he knew that the woman with the cloak around her, had noticed him and was coming towards him at a steady pace.

Charlotte reached the old man, feeling out of place she kept both hands by her side and  smiled pleasantly. "Good day Sire." She said, her voice suddenly filled with uncertainty.

The man dropped the necklace, turning around slowly he picked up his fray stick. "Good day, how can I help you woman? Do you need something?"

"Well, I just want to ask some questions. I don't want anything, but I assure you, your wares are beautiful." Charlotte said in a hurry.

The old man heard the urgency in her voice. Taking his seat, he looked up with eyes full of wisdom. "I'm old, but I know that a woman of your status shouldn't be here. It is too dangerous.  What can I help you with?"

Charlotte was taken aback by his recognition, she looked around and let herself relax when she saw that no one was within hearing range.  Moving closer, she whispered. "My name is Charlotte and I seek a woman named Maria Gonzalo".

Thanks for reading!
Please remember to vote👍
And drop👇 your comments.
I appreciate you all.👏