viii. NINE THOUSAND KNOTS

CHAPTER EIGHTNINE THOUSAND KNOTS

CHAPTER EIGHT
NINE THOUSAND KNOTS

▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴

"If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it," I hummed quietly, rummaging through my fridge.

  I yanked out an apple, before taking a giant bite out of it. Kicking the door closed with my foot, I wandered over to the island. I plopped down on the stool.

  "Don't be mad when you see that he want it," I sang obnoxiously. "If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it Oh oh oh!"

  I chewed off another bite, preparing to sing some more. What? I was home alone. Getting ready for the next line, I was cut off.

  "If you could see that I'm the one who understands you. Been here all along, so why can't you see, you belong with me!"

  My head whipped around, trying to find the source of Taylor Swift's song. My gaze landed on my phone, which was currently vibrating its way towards the edge of the counter. Before it met the last inch of counter space, I snatched it up. Whose ringtone was that? Unlocking it, I pressed it to my ear.

  "Hello?" I asked, twirling the apple around.

  "Carson," a familiar voice said.

  "Is there any reason why you are interrupting my one woman show of Beyoncé?" I asked Stiles, laughing.

  "I'm coming to get you," he said, not bothering to comment on my favorite pastime.

  I raised an eyebrow, slipping off my stool. "Why?"

  "Scott has big news."

  That was all I got before he clicked off.

▴ ▿ ▴

  I quickly jogged after Stiles who threw the McCall's door open without warning before sprinting up the steps. Smiling at my best friend, I shut the door, before following.

  "What did you find? How did you find it? Where did you find it?" Stiles listed off, as I walked into Scott's room. Scott looked slightly startled, messing with his lacrosse stick. "And yes, I've had a lot of Adderall, so..."

  Stiles began spastically blinking. I smiled at him. He was adorable. I mentally slapped myself. No, bad Carson. No thinking your best friend is adorable.

  "I found something at Derek Hales?" Scott answered.

  I raised an eyebrow. "What the hell were you doing at Derek's?"

  "Are you kidding what?" Stiles said at the same time as me.

  "I don't know there's something buried there. I can smell blood."

  "Whoa, whoa, whoa, blood?" I exclaimed, only to be once again cut off by Stiles.

  "That's' awesome!" he said. I hit his arm. "I mean, that's terrible. Who's blood?"