VI

"I don't want to go, Daxx!" Andy screamed, pulling against my hand so viciously that he fell against the floor in his efforts.

Sighing, I crouched down to his level so that we could talk properly. I could tell from his expression that he wasn't scared of going in there, he was just kicking up a fuss to make me feel guilty about it. Which worked.

"I'm here and so is your sister. If Jimmy steps out of line, we'll put him in his place, okay? Connor and I will be in the next room over the entire time. Pinkie promise." I reassured him, holding out my little finger patiently.

"Angel will be too busy playing with Mary." Andy glared at his twin sister, giving her a sharp look for finding a new best friend.

I was seriously worried about Andy's lack of friends.

"Either way, you still have Connor and I. Besides, we're already here." I gestured with my ring and bracelet clad hand to the suburban two story white house with large front windows.

Angel leaned in and whispered something to Andy that seemed to cheer him up. She slung her arm around his shoulder and the two skipped off, laughing together as they headed inside the wide-open front door. I appreciated whatever she said because it seemed to bring up his mood. With my nerves settled, I decided to follow after them after grabbing my stuff from the car. 

We had bought Jimmy a generic birthday gift, so I grabbed that, slinging my leather jacket over my shoulder as I juggled the things. I slipped on my sunglasses and ran my hand through my black hair to tame the tangles and push it out of my face. I looked around to see where Connor had disappeared to after he had darted from the car.

"Damn, that was mighty fine, Daxx. Please do it again." A voice yelled from the porch, followed by a long wolf-whistle. 

"We're at an eight-year-olds birthday party!" I hissed at the idiot, slamming my hand over his mouth to shut him up.

He proceeded to lick my hand, making me recoil at the slimy feeling. 

"You love me really, baby." Connor winked, "I say we make a grand entrance. Let everyone know the real party queens have arrived." 

"Must I remind you, once again, that we are at an eight-year-olds birthday party?" I sighed, "You may act that age, but you're about ten years too late."

"You killjoy."

"Na na na, baby" I winked at him, letting his bubbly personality lift my mood slightly.

It was contagious. Plus, I'd been trying to make an effort with this whole 'flirting' thing. Matching the other person's energy was important.

"What? I don't get the reference... Oh my god, you called me baby! That was kind of hot." Connor fanned himself dramatically. 

I couldn't believe he didn't get the reference, but I was too distracted by his reaction to my flirting to explain what the hell I meant. At least I wasn't as tragic at flirting as I was last week.

"Where have Mary and the twins gone?" I asked, looking around for them with frantic eyes.

"Calm down, Mama Daxx. I'm sure they've just gone in to see the rest of their friends. Even though Mary's been here for, like, a week, she's made a tonne of friends." Conner grinned, seeming proud of his little sister.

"What about you? How's Sixth Form?"

"Well I think I would prefer to be home schooled because there's this one kid near my house who's home schooled and he's incredible. I mean he's insanely hot and maybe if I were home schooled I could just watch him all day." Conner joked around, causing a slight red blush to grace my pale cheeks.