xii. FAR TOO SAPPY

CHAPTER TWELVEFAR TOO SAPPY

CHAPTER TWELVE
FAR TOO SAPPY

▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴ ▿ ▴

Sappy romance and crushes weren't my thing.

I wasn't the kind of person who spent hours dreaming up situations where they get married to their crush. I didn't cover all my notebooks in heart with our names in the middle. I didn't Facebook stalk guys. I didn't blatantly stare at them during class. I didn't dress in revealing clothes to get them to like me. I didn't walk faster in the hallway just to get next to them. I didn't—you get the picture.

In my short years on this Earth, I had only had a few crushes, all of them lasting a month or so. I had one "serious" boyfriend, Jackson. And I only counted him as serious because that was my only relationship that was longer than a week. I'd been on plenty of dates, all of them lacrosse players or swimmers.

But none of them had held my attention for long enough. Most of them, especially in Jackson's case, used me as a pastime. Someone they thought they could get some action out of. Or some of them had just been plain weird. I went on a date with one guy and all he would talk about was his dead goldfish. It was a tad unnerving.

If you're keeping up with me, I don't go gaga and starry eyed when I liked a guy. It just wasn't who I was.

So when I woke up and my first though was Stiles, I was decently surprised. Every single revelation I had last night swum into my thoughts, all vying for my attention. My stomach exploded with a batch of butterflies as I sat up.

I ran a hand through my bed head and bit my lip, trying to stop the smile that was trying to work its way onto my face. I had just realized that I liked the guy. There was no way that I could already be freaking out about him like this already.

And if I was acting like this when he wasn't even around, what would I act like when he was actually with me? We were best friends and feeling this way was crazy. I had never had a crush on my best friend before. Scott because he wasn't my type at all and Lydia because she was well...too Lydia. I had never thought that I would fall for Stiles of all people.

It wasn't that there was anything was wrong with him—it definitely wasn't that. But it was the fact that I had spent practically my entire life with him. Almost every single memory that I have, he was there in it. Well, Scott was in them too, but I didn't have a crush on him. It was weird thinking that I had a crush on Stiles. That all of a sudden, he was capable of making my stomach a warzone and my cheeks forever colored a cherry red.

This was Stiles Stilinski, the boy with the unpronounceable first name. The guy who made lame jokes and was fluent in sarcasm. The guy who listened in on his dad's work calls to drag me and Scott on weird adventures. The guy who through my Barbie doll out the window—still not over that. The guy who dunked my ponytail in milk when we were four and I wasn't looking.