Chapter 9

Agent Wilde drives us to the freeway, going out of the city. Williams has told me we are going to a S.H.I.E.L.D. facility. He didn't want to tell me why we are going there, but assured me again it was just a formality. "We just need your statement, Miss. That's all."

All this time, Loki has not said a word. He just stares out of the window, angrily. I wonder what was said while the men were waiting for me to get my jacket. Clearly, Loki has no say in this and he doesn't like that one bit. And I am liking this less and less too.

Suddenly, I don't feel fine anymore. I'm in a car heading to an unknown destination, with three men I've only known for a short while. I do not think Loki wishes me any harm, but I'm not sure of the other two men. What do I know about S.H.I.E.L.D. anyway? Who knows what they can do. Tears well up behind my eyes and I try to hold back a sob.
Loki looks up from his stare and eases his hand over the backseat to grab my hand. He laces his fingers through mine and gives me a little squeeze. Wiping the tears from my eyes with my other hand, I give him a wavering smile.

"I'm here," he says quietly so the men in front can't hear him.

He continues to hold my hand until Gary takes an exit and drives us through a pretty remote area. I can feel Loki tense up and when the car takes a turn into a long driveway Loki pulls back his hand and clenches it into a tight fist in his lap.

The car is driving straight for a big rectangular building. It's just a big concrete block, no visible windows or doors. Gary steers the car to the left, into an underground parking garage. When the car stops, I can see two men waiting for us. The right man is dressed in some sort of black armour and appears to be carrying a bow. The other one is dressed in a suit, much like agents Williams and Wilde. He is holding something that looks like a rounded metal box with holes on either side of it.

Agent Williams opens the car door for me and I get out. Agent Wilde and the man with the metal box are standing on Loki's side of the car, Williams walks over to join them. I walk around the hood of the car, there is a door nearby and I guess we'll be heading through there. The man with the bow keeps his distance, his eyes trained on Loki, who is now getting out of the car.

"What is this?" the god hisses at Williams, his head jerking to the metal thing.

"You broke the rules, now you must face the consequences," the agent replies in a calm voice.

Loki inhales sharply and pushes his finger against Williams's chest. "You puny mortals..."
At the same time, the other agent moves the metal box to Loki's free hand. And then everything happens very fast. In the blink of an eye Loki hits the box to the ground and pins the agent against the concrete wall of the parking garage. His arm pushes against the man's throat and he has lifted him off the ground a little.

"Go ahead punk, make my day." The archer has a huge arrow pointed at Loki's head. It all happens so fast, I don't even have time to scream. I'm standing there at the front of the car, nailed to the ground, my eyes as big as saucers.
Loki slowly turns his head to glare at the archer. The man just gives him a smirk. "Really, go ahead. Give me a reason to put an arrow in your eye. I've got no love for you."

"Now Loki, let's do this in a civilised manner. There's a lady present," agent Williams says to Loki, pointing a gun at him. Wilde is on Loki's other side, also aiming his gun.
The dark haired god flicks his eyes at me, his nostrils flared. I hardly recognise him, his face is contorted with anger. He scares me.
Suddenly Loki steps back from the agent he has pinned against the wall, arms lowered to his side. The man crumples on the ground, coughing and holding his throat. Gary steps up to Loki and encloses the god's hands in the metal contraption.

I am shaking and my head is spinning, I feel like I might faint. The archer appears next to me, steadying me by holding my arm. "Inhale, exhale... inhale, exhale. Don't conk out on me, lady."