Find Your Tribe

KVega3

Wattpad is a great starting point for writers. Whether your genre of choice is fanfiction, fantasy, or historical fiction, Wattpad gives you the opportunity to express your creativity and take advantage of a multitude of resources such as information for writers, clubs, writing challenges, and contests.

I believe that Wattpad is a wonderful platform because it helps you build a creative community of like-minded writers and readers. Whether writing is a hobby or something you hope to pursue a career in, building a readership can really elevate your writing to the next level. An audience who has a vested interest in your work is extremely helpful because they can provide you with constructive criticism that can help your story grow. Building an audience like this takes time and dedication, but Wattpad makes this worthwhile endeavor fairly easy. 

I recommend joining writing clubs and reaching out to other writers whose work is similar to your own. Thanking users who leave comments or votes for your story, also shows that you care about your readers and helps develop a connection with your audience. 

While writing on Wattpad has been an amazing experience, starting out was honestly terrifying. I remember staring at the publish button for what felt like hours, too scared to send my work out into the world. But when I did finally work up the courage to press publish, I had never felt anything so freeing. No longer were my stories just daydreams locked away inside my head, now they were out in the world for everyone to see. My advice for writers who may be scared to take that first step, is to push through the fear. Writing needs readers like plants need sunshine. If you keep your work in the dark, it will never blossom into its full potential. Wattpad will always have a special place in my heart because it allowed me to bring my stories into the light.

"We cannot spend our lives in hiding, wondering what we might accomplish if given the chance. We have to take that chance ourselves." - Leigh Bardugo