22

"Yasmin?"

I look up at Kelly, then at everyone else in the therapy group. Did she ask me something? I've been too deep in my thoughts to hear anything. "Huh?"

"It's your turn to tell us how is how this month has been for you." Great. I forgot about this thing we do at the end of every month.

"Well, someone tried to kill me, but my uncle, who I thought was innocent is actually a gangbanger like my Dad was, saved me and killed the guy instead. Who's next?" I smile.

They all give me blank looks and Morgan's chewing on her gum slows down. Eventually Kelly laughs as if i'm joking.

"This is serious, Yasmin. I know it can be hard to share but you may feel relieved when you do," she says and waits for me again.

Well then.

"She's not the kind of person to tell people how she feels. You know, she's like one of those annoying people who smile and say everything's fine even though someone just died and you just want to scream at them to shut up and be a damn normal human. Kind of a waste of time her being here," Drake blurts out.

"Thanks so much."

"No offence," he adds. "It just frustrates me. Life ain't about lying and pretending you're the happiest person in the world when you're not. If someone asks you if something hurt you, frickin' tell them it did."

"It's getting annoying that you think you know me."

"But am I wrong?"

I don't answer. Sometimes if something bothers me then I will make sure the whole world knows all about it, then other times I don't have the energy to talk about it, because whining to someone about your problems doesn't seem like it would do anything but make them think you're over dramatic.

"What you said is very true," Kelly comments. "I mean about opening up to people. Holding it in only makes things worse when you finally let it out."

Drake continues to stare at me as if he's reading into my mind to get more information.

"Would anyone like to share how many days this month that they drank alcohol?"

Elliot's lips start moving as if he's counting the days in his head. "Six."

Kelly nods and looks at Morgan. "Three," she responds and Kelly smiles like a proud mother.

"Yasmin?"

I'm hesitant to answer, intimidated by Drake's stare. He doesn't know that after what happened when we were together I decided to stop drinking. He probably thinks i'm a crazy alcoholic.

"One day."

"Wow, well done," she beams and I almost feel proud of myself. Kyle says that he did four days then we all look at Drake.

"Nineteen."

Nineteen.

Even I think that's bad.

Kelly sighs. "Remember the goal we set last month? Ten. Do you think you'll cut it down for next month?"

"Sure."

She shakes her head, not believing him. I look at Drake in a new way. He must be really struggling to cope.

After the session I rush outside, hoping Alex is here, but the only car in the lot is a rough looking navy blue one with tinted windows and countless dents. It's even parked the wrong way round and taking up three spaces.

I pull out my phone and ask Alex if he forgot to come get me, and tell him I can just get the bus to school but straight away he tells me that he's almost here.