3 || Infiltrating the Perfect

I can't escape my mind
I wish I could turn it off sometimes

MIRABELLE   SWAN

The last period of what seemed to be the longest day was commencing. Bella had math while I had English study. Our teacher allowed us to relax in the library since all he wanted to do was sleep. At least that was still the same no matter where I went. 

My arms carried a small stack of books that I collected. Many of them were history books on this town while a few of them were supernatural fictions. Teen fictions and other genres were quite limited in this library - or rather this town. It wasn't like Phoenix where Fifty Shades of Grey was on every shelf. But the problem right now wasn't the ridiculous restriction on reading materials.

My eyes scanned the room for any empty tables. Surprisingly there were enough students to cover the wooden seating areas. Or perhaps there just wasn't enough tables. Just as I was about to give up and find a place on the floor, my eyes fell on Alice waving her hand excitedly. She beckoned me to come sit with her and her siblings.

Without much choice, I walked over. It was just her, Jasper, and Rosalie. Jessica basically told me everything that was common knowledge about the haunting family. Rosalie was Emmett's girlfriend and didn't really like anyone. I immediately knew we'd get along. However, Jessica's words were proven false when the blonde beauty surprisingly flashed me a kind smile.

"Here Mira, you can sit next to me." Alice patted the seat to her right. My books made a dull sound as they were finally placed on a stable surface. "Sorry if I'm intruding." She shook her head. "Not at all! Jasper saw you looking around and was going to invite you. I just beat him to it."

I peeked over to said male, finding him trying to hide his face behind the book he was reading. My attention was taken off of him for the moment by Alice. "By the way, this is our sister Rosalie. Rosalie, this is Mirabelle Swan." Rosalie nodded her head politely. I returned the gesture. "Nice to meet you. I don't mean to rude but, people said you were a heartless person who hated other people."

Alice began to snicker behind her hand. Even Jasper's shoulders shook a little. Rosalie wore a look of mock hurt. "They said all of that?"

"I decided to mince my words a bit since it looks like you could easily kick my ass." Rosalie broke out into a full-on grin, chuckling just a hint. "Well, I guess there are times I can be that. But I have a feeling you and I will be able to get along just fine." I returned her smile a bit wider. 

"You know, I was just about to say the same thing." Her siblings seemed a bit shocked by our instant friendship but didn't say anything about it. The 4 of us got to know each other a little better; although, it was more of them getting to know me better.

My hunch on Rosalie and I getting along was right on point. 

The fact that we were totally different people but shared the same disgust for people was amazing. Alice was all about fashion, which wasn't really my thing. She swore that she'd get me in a dress even if it kills her. Jasper was one to listen. He never asked questions or answered any either. As per usual, he settled for staring. But this time it wasn't with the intensity of a scientist studying some rare species; this time it was soft and almost like he was memorizing my every expression.

By the time we finished, and we were walking out of the library together, it felt like I had known them my whole life. Alice and Rosalie went ahead. Jasper opted to walk me to Bella's and I's old truck. "So...you don't mind answering questions if it's them." He mused. My shoulders hunched a bit. "Well, they eased into it. And they weren't staring at me weirdly."

"I really am sorry for making you uncomfortable. It wasn't my intentions." 

When we were a few feet from the truck, I stopped and stood in front of him. "What exactly is your game, Mr. Hale?" There was a sassy bite to my voice. It was uncalled for, but this guy's mind games just made me so aggravated. 

His brows furrowed to play his bemusement. "What do you mean?"

"Everyone in school says you never talk to anyone. 95% of the time you won't even leave your siblings' side. But now you're here, with me, without a single worry. What is your play?"

"Can't you just be satisfied with me wanting to be friends?"

"All of a sudden you want to make friends?"

"Are you always this suspicious?"

"Only when a good looking antisocial boy decides he'd rather kick it with me than anyone else."

"You underestimate yourself."

Emmett's voice shouting for him to get a move on signaled the inevitable end of our conversation. I tucked a piece of my hair behind my ear. On cue, a cold wind of the incoming rain shower kissed the side of my neck. It elicited an involuntary shiver. "Underestimate myself, huh? I usually bite off more than I can chew, to be honest..." My voice trailed off.

The look in Jasper's eyes seemed to change. He went from playful to angry. "I have to go," he spat, pushing past me to stomp over to his siblings. All of them were looking at us worriedly. I just stood there in complete bewilderment.

'Guess it's true what they say about guys having periods.' His sudden change in behavior pissed me off just a bit. I mean, what the hell? Their car skittered out of the parking lot with great haste. I fixed the strap of my bag with an eye roll. I walked over to Bella who was already sitting in the truck with a look that said she had a lot to tell me.