5 || Heart Reconciliation

I wanna know if this road
Belongs to my eyes and only mine

MIRABELLE   SWAN

It was truly a miracle. That Monday, when I stepped into history, I found none other than Mr. Jasper Hale himself. His eyes met mine in expectancy. Feelings that were on the borderline of anger swelled in my chest. But what should I be mad for? I wasn't his nanny. He had no reason to tell me where he might've flown off to. I tried to suppress these unsightly feelings of mine. I basically zipped over to my desk without giving him a second thought - without a single glance.

 From my peripheral vision I could make out his form of preparation for his next wisely chosen words. "I'm sorry for my behavior last week." Was his starting line. His voice just a bit louder than the rest of the clamoring desks, squeaking shoes, and murmurs of students.

I decided to hear him out just a bit more. To show I was listening I glanced at him concisely. He sucked in a breath. He had growing circles under his eyes; his complexion looked paler than usual. 'Is he sick?' He ran a hand through his golden tresses that laid limp rather than having their stylish glow.

"I...didn't mean to react that way. It's just frustrating for me not to be able to understand you."

"And that's my fault." I shot back, keeping my eyes trained on the board.

"No," he answered swiftly. "...I'm usually in control of myself, but when I'm around you, I find my resolve slipping away. It's like I can't keep calm around you." The sincerity in his words got me to meet his eyes again. He leaned in closer as if to make sure his feelings were getting across. 

"I'm so sorry, Mirabelle."

My determination to give him the cold shoulder quickly crumbled the moment I got lost in those golden eyes of his. I pushed his face away from me to hide my embarrassment. "Alright, alright...geez. Enough with the Romeo apologies. Any more of this and I'll feel like I'm the bad guy."

He eased up. "So...you forgive me?"

"I don't know why you care so much if I forgive you or not, but yeah." That sweet smile of his was hard to miss. It took all of my willpower not to look at it and start crumbling like a cookie. He called me, but I continued to retaliate. I heard him sigh beside me. "Why won't you look at me?"

"...Because it's a trap."

"A trap," he repeated amused.

"Yes. Now be quiet. I'm trying to listen."

He did stay quiet after that...in voice at least. A piece of paper was dropped in front of me. It was folded neatly to hide whatever message had been scrawled on it. I don't know if it was because I really wanted to keep talking to him or if I just felt like humoring myself out of the boredom that was beginning to settle, but I took a look at it.