9 || Next Step

Cause I was made for loving you
Even though we may be hopeless hearts just passing through

MIRABELLE SWAN

I was worried about Bella. She never brought up the Cullens around me after that day in the cafeteria. In fact, it almost felt as if she was trying to avoid me to keep a secret. I tried prodding her for answers but she was keeping a steel clutch on her tongue. I knew whatever it was she was up to had to do with Edward's and Jasper's slip-up in the parking lot.

On one hand, I wanted to stop her from digging too deep but on the other, I hoped she'd unravel the mystery soon enough. Hopefully, she didn't get herself into trouble doing it.

But Bella aside, I was facing an even bigger crisis. Jasper was to arrive in only a matter of minutes to take me to meet his family...officially. Nervous? Oh yeah. I had no one to help me pick out an outfit. Bella had gone off with Angela, Jessica, Mike, and Eric to some beach called LaPush. I was left alone to decide between the three appropriate selections laid out on my bed.

'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe...' The usual tricks of decision making wasn't working. Whatever outfit that was selected I always found myself second-guessing. 'What the hell is wrong with me?' I've truly reached a new level of nerves. This wasn't me at all. Who cares what I wear? They wouldn't mind, right?

'Of course, they will idiot. Who're you to be dating their son? Out of the millions that could've captured his eye, what makes you special? '

My inner-self is the guru of self-confidence.

My mind was toiling over it so much that when two broad arms wrapped around my waist I had nearly jumped out of my skin. Jasper eyed me amusedly. "What're you doing?" My body instantly slackened against his once accepting his presence. 

"I don't know what I should wear...I was thinking a dress but I don't want to be too formal; then there's the skirt and top but it just doesn't seem right-"

"You'll look lovely in whatever you wear," he interjected, leading butterfly kisses from the side of my face to my temples. "Why are you so worried about it?"

"Why? Because I'm meeting your parents for the first time, Einstein. I mean, I've met your dad but that doesn't count. What if they don't approve of me?" Jasper eased away from me but still kept his arms loosely wrapped me. He had the most tickled expression on his face.

"So you're not worried that you'll be in a house full of bloodthirsty vampires but that...they won't approve of you?"

"Well when you say it like that, you make it seem like I got my priorities right for once," I snapped sarcastically, going back to my task at hand. "If you're just going to mock me then get out." He took back my warmth. His breath that was a mixture of Jasmin tea and mint toothpaste fanned the shell of my ear.

"They'll love you no matter what, darling. Trust me. You've already won over Rosalie so it's all downhill from here."

I turned in his hold. My arms wrapped around his neck - hands burying themselves in the ends of his golden locks. My eyes memorized every part of his face like I had so many times before. Fate was really a strange lever at work. It had been unfortunate to Jasper for years, but my blessing in bringing me here to this gloomy town where he was waiting for me.